1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Four Piston Front Calipers - Upgrade

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Red Rider, Jul 18, 2016.

?

How did you like upgrading to a four piston caliper from a lesser system?

1. Hating all rip-off brake salesmen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. OK result, but the cost made me feel stupid afterwards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. All good, worth it

100.0%
  4. Why the heck didn't I do this sooner!!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. What is a four piston front caliper, and is it contagious?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

OK, earlier I'd said I was one major repair from getting a new Road King....I lied. Just love Ol' Red too much. But I always hated these wimpy, ugly, obsolete single piston stock brake calipers up front, and so I just ordered new Performance Machine calipers to stick on it tomorrow. Got another short (700 mile) trip to make, and my front right caliper is sticking bad. I know I could just rebuild it for pennies compared to the PM brakes, but I never have had enough stopping power from the front brakes, and they've always dragged more than I liked. Wondering how others thought about their brake upgrades, and whether or not they were satisfied with the result (even though I already ordered them).
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

PM make the best brakes. Had some on my '63 pan.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Had a 6 piston single front pm on my heritage. Worked great the stock had brakes couldn't slow down my 124 at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Red Rider

Gettin' warmer & fuzzier by the minute!
  5. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I'd love to upgrade to a PM front brake caliper on my Fatboy. The OEM single caliper is barey sufficient. But I am slowly slowing down as I get younger.
  6. Red Rider

Took a little 600 mile ride to break-in/check out the new brakes, and they are WAY better than the stock single piston. Far more braking power, far less drag. Only problem now is I've discovered my front wheel is not quite "true", and so I've got that to investigate/resolve. Hoping that the spokes just need tightening, so heading to the garage to get 'er done.
    Lucifer likes this.
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Some difference with a real set of brakes up front,eh..:DThose single piston calipers on the Evos and Early TC's are practically useless, even the stock fronts on my '03 King are a big improvement over those singles...
  8. Red Rider

Great brakes, for sure. Problem is one of my discs is slightly warped, probably has been since 2001 after a little accident. Truthfully, it is so minor that I should just live with it, but, now that the brakes are perfect, I want it ALL perfect!
  9. Lucifer

15 yr old stock rotors with a lil warp...and brand new PM Calipers...;) Pick up a new set of rotors,then front end is complete:)...They must be getting a little thin by now and your new calipers will heat 'em up a bit more making the lil warp a big one .
    I picked up a set of new take offs on flea bay that were polished ...I was a little surprised how much my rotor was worn in 50,000 miles when I compared them...
    Red Rider likes this.
  10. Red Rider

Thanks for the tip. Think I'll break down and buy a new set, or an economically sound used set...something smarter than using 17 + year old ones with 90,000 miles and warped :banghead. Sometimes I just got to let someone else tell me what I was thinking to believe it...but did it have to be Lucifer?:confused:
  11. Lucifer

:hilarious:Well,the Devil's in the details.:D
    Red Rider likes this.
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

check with Jon at Horney Toad HD in TX for new prices on HD parts, tell him you' are on the net boards and got his name that way.

Or get ahold of CA Phil at www.harleypartscheap.com 785 243 9991 see if he can get you aftermarket rotors or has some take offs.
    Red Rider likes this.
  13. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Yep Red, I do think that you went the right direction on the brakes. I am looking to upgrade mine as well but only when I put chrome wheels on mine. There is a lot of small updating and upgrading that I need to do to mine. Now that I have my truck paid off here in a couple of days, then I can start to focus on that stuff.
    Red Rider likes this.