1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Front Fork Chirp sound

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by mjski42, Aug 26, 2008.

1. mjski42

mjski42 New Member

07 Heritage Softail, a chirping sound is coming from the front fork area when riding over small cracks or bumbs in the road, any ideas what would cause this annoying sound? No other sound except the quick little chirp sound when riding over a crack. Took off the windshield, and the noise is definately from the fork area.
    Thank you
  2. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

wheel bearings need lubed or changed, change fork oil. just a few cheap eliminations.
  3. mjski42

mjski42 New Member

Do it myself

I am new to trying to do things myself and not pay the dealer the H-D's (Hundreds Dollars), any hints on the lubrication, of the bike.
    Thanks Again

Attached Files:

4. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

When you get this little chirp, can you also feel a slight knock from the bars? If so you have a loose nut on the top of the triple tree allowing the top tree to slightly rock on the stem. Harley replaced the old washer, that was bent upward to hold the nut in place, with a thicker/stronger washer so it wouldn't compress and let the top tree rock when hitting bumps. They also increased the torque on the nut from 35ftlbs to 80 ftlbs.
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

:wtf: from 35 to 80l!! thats quite an increase!! There mutsa been quite a few with that problem.
    When did they change washers and increase the torque to 80lbft??
    :devil:
  6. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Unless they have changed the bearing design, the wheel bearings cannot be lubed. They are a sealed permenately lubricated bearing. If they go bad you have to replace them. I doubt this is the case on such a new bike. There is a lot of things on the fork assembly that would cause a noise if loose. Head light or passing light brackets, fork tube pinch bolts, fork tube bolts, nacelle, windscreen docking hardware, fender bolts, caliper bolts, dust shields, just to name a few.

I would start at the top and work my way down to the axle. Check every fastener.
  7. mjski42

mjski42 New Member

Could be the issue

I tightened everything I could, except the tree nuts, didn't have a large enough wrench yet, but I can only get the noise to occur when riding, so it has nothing to do with the fork or bearings I think. It has something to do with the compression of the tire when I ride. I sat on the bike and bounced it until the handlebars loosened and not a sound out of it, until I get 20 feet on the road to the first crack line. I did take off the windshield and the chipring sound is still there.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone in Milwaukee for the 105th?? I live here, so I can't wait to see all of the bikes. I ride into downtown Milwaukee from home for work, saw a nice group of 20 or so coming in this morning.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i would get a socket and torque wrench and check the fork nut.......and while it is up in the air, check fork swing as per the manual......you have a factory service manual dont ya????? best tool in the box!!!!!!!!!
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

It's an 07
    warranty is good through 09

Take it to the dealer let them mess with it shouldn't cost you a dime unless you damaged something.
  10. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

The ex had a chirping sound coming from the front of his Road King, and it ended up being a broken motor mount. Your bike seems awful new for that. His is an '03 and it happened last September.
  11. mjski42

mjski42 New Member

Thanks for the info

I have been looking at any little piece in the front end, just amazing the amount of different size nuts and heads there are, no two the same size anyware. The sound is really loud when starting out in the AM and when the bike is cold, the chirp seems to go away after 5 miles of riding, I'll take it into a dealer and let them try to figure out what is going on next week after the 105th ends and they get some sanity back. It is under warranty like what was posted.

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions, if I ever do find the cause I will post it.
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

BTW

It's not that I didn't want to help but you have a warranty so why waste your time fixing stuff.

When you are in the dealer get a Service and Parts Manual they are invaluable, will help you with doing your own 5, 10 and 20K+ services with details on what and how things are to be done.

Parts book will help with getting a part correct with number.

That noise could be any one of several items

Loose front axle
    Loose neck bolt
    loose or broken motor mount
    loose exhaust

Make them go over the whole front end with a fine tooth comb, fix and replace anything needed.

spend hd's money...
  13. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i agree with hrk on the manuals.....one other thing the parts manual shows is how things go together.......or the order they go together......:)
  14. boganmeister

boganmeister New Member

having the same problem with my sporty. and no service manual either...
  15. mjski42

mjski42 New Member

Front Brake

I'll be taking it in, but when I was at the 105th and talking to other chapter members, they said to check the front brake. When I went home, I tapped the front brake a few times (wife didn't appreciate it though) and it chirped each time until it warms up, so the possibilities might be a warped rotor. It could be the pads shifted which would not be covered, but nothing I can check unfortunately. i'll update next week after taking it in.
  16. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Did you tighten the fender mounting bolts?? Be nice if its something that simple.:devil:
  17. el_kurdtino_613

el_kurdtino_613 Member

Hey,
    Just curious what the result was after you took your bike in?
    I'm currently experiencing this exact same issue.
    I have changed my fork oil, checked and greased my wheel bearings, greased my speedo and cable, checked front brake and pads and everything seems ok..
    I did not however replace my fork seals when I did the oil, but they seemed pretty good to me perhaps they could be my issue??
    Anyway, I'd love to hear what the issue ended up being on your end. Thank you
    Kurdt.
  18. beagle02

beagle02 Member

Kurdt the OP might not chime in anymore as this thread was about 9 years now. Try to sit on the bike with the front brake applied and push up and down on the forks to trace the sound. Could be external sheet metal, fork springs/dampening rod, loose caliper. I'll be working on Kawasaki ZX6R soon right after we finished installing stuff we ordered at 4WheelOnline.com for the current the truck project. The previous owner mentioned about the random squeak sound it produces.
  19. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Check your fender for tire burn marks, and make sure eveything on that front end is tight.