1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

FUEL - C.A. gas vs A.Z. gas

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by SISK, Jun 7, 2004.

1. SISK

SISK New Member

Last week I went on a ride from California to Arizona and back (about 1100 miles) and I made notes at each fuel stop of my mileage and gallons to fill up.
    Upon calculating the mileage, I noticed that my mileage in California was averaging 36.4 mpg and in Arizona it was averaging 42.8 MPG, that's a 6.4 MPG increase!!
    Does anyone know what would cause that kind of increase while I was in AZ?? Is there somthing different about the AZ gas? I used 91 octane at all fuel stops. I had about 5 fill ups in AZ and 7 in CA and consistantly the AZ tanks got me MPG of low 40's? Any ideas?

I'm feeling a bit ripped off from paying higher gas prices in CA and getting less MPG. :confused:

Thanks

SISK
  2. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

There could be two different reasons why the mpg from AZ to CA is different. One would be that I have seen on the television reports that quite a few gas stations thru out the USA have been busted by the government for putting 85 octain in the 91 octain holding tanks. You could have experienced the change from this. The other is the elevation in relation to the alttitude could be making the bike run a bit richer. Or possibly you may have (over a long stretch of your trip) actually been going up in elevation which would require more fuel to go the same speed. Ride Safe David.
  3. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

Having driven all over the areas you describe as recently as this past week I know what you are speaking about. In the west, particularly desert areas, I have found that the biggest factor is which way the wind is blowing. For example, I got over 50 mpg on three consecutive tanks in Wyoming three days ago. I was being pushed by a cold front with about 40 to 50 mph winds. Only two days earlier, I was discouraged by my mileage of 38 mpg going up the length of Utah. On that day I was fighting a strong wind coming in from 10 o'clock. Crossing West Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California deserts last week saw a variation of 6 to 8 mpg in each tank, depending on wind strength and direction.

Also related to the wind force, I tend to drive faster down wind than against it, just for comfort reasons. All the Harleys I have owned got better mileage at 60 mph than at 75 mph.

But, it could be a conspiracy of some sort. Most people like to believe those.
  4. SISK

SISK New Member

Ffflhtcui,

I don't know if it is a conspiricy as much as it is just another regulation imposed by the great state of California.
    I was talking to a buddy that works for Chevron and told him about my mileage differences in CA and AZ. He said that CA has replaced the additive MTBE with Ethanol, but AZ still uses MTBE. I also read that Ethanol has fewer BTU's.

I agree with your comments on wind, but on this particular trip, the only noticiable wind was on that stretch of I-10 through Palm Springs with all the windmill farms (it's allways a windy one through there... go figure :rolleyes: ).
    Anyway, with all other variables considered: wind, terrain, elevation, speed, temperature and bugs on the windshield, I think the gas was the main factor.

Perhaps I will go to AZ and fill up a couple drums of fuel. The lower cost per gallon and better mileage may be worth it. But then again, after I pay for the gas to get my truck to AZ and back, I may have nullified any savings I gain by using AZ gas.
    Guess I'd better just accept it or move out of state.

SISK
  5. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

Sisk

After taking four hours last Thursday (3 p.m.) to go from 2 miles south of Corona to Victorville on an eight lane interstate with no traffic accidents or construction sites, I'm wondering why anyone wants to live there anyway. I talked to a guy who lives there. He says it's like that every morning and every afternoon. I even joined the local m/c's and rode between the lanes to keep from setting my pants on fire and seizing my engine up.

I'm just kidding, of course. California is a beautiful state which I've thoroughly enjoyed visiting and riding in. But, that traffic within 75 miles of LA is for the diehards, not for me.

Speaking of gasoline prices, I was really surprised at prices around the west. In Wyoming, out in the middle of nowhere, gas was about as cheap as anywhere I found. Even at the entrance to the top tourist site in the country, Yellowstone, premium was about $2.10 a gallon. I pay more than that here in Southeast Texas and I live within 20 miles of 4 or 5 major refineries. Oh well, as long as I can get it, I'll keep riding.
  6. CD

CD Guest

MTBE me?

MTBE is an oxygenate and enhances combustion. Ethanol does the same thing but not as well. MTBE is a listed carcinogen by the EPA and was found in the ground water of California and it's reservoirs.

We did not have MTBE year round her in Aridzona it was added only in the winter and was recently banned here also.

I have noticed mileage variations from brand to brand over the years. As was posted earlier, wind and speed are bigger factors than gas usually. I get 35 MPG plus on my RK at 70 or lower. When I crank it up to keep up with the flow going to Phoenix I drop to 25 easily.

Since at 85-90 you are very close to WFO, it is sucking a whole lot more fuel than at 65.