1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Fuel Pak tuner numbers

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by dmassey, Jan 10, 2009.

1. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

I went to the V&H website and downloaded the maps for V&H Strainghtshot SO's (map # FP-0604)and Rush (1.75 baffles) SO's (map # FP-0607) . Realizing that different equipment would require different settings, I am wondering if the lower numbers mean a leaner fuel setting at a given RPM range and visa versa. Just trying to educate myself as much as possible since the majority of my previous experience has been on my 351C '71 mustang and I realize that setting up a carb is very different from the EFI that's on my truck. I sure would appreciate any info on what the numbers mean/indicate.
    Thanks,
    Danny
  2. mstngjoe

mstngjoe New Member

I did quite a bit of research before putting a FuelPak on my '07 Sporty (sold it) and I never ran across any info on what the settings mean or do.

To my knowledge no one has cracked the codes yet.
  3. biker1953

biker1953 New Member

Hi, I'm new to this web sight.
    I think V&H should give the meaning to the modes due to every bike runs different. I have a 2007 Heritage softail classic with v&h straight shot slip-ons an arlen-ness stage 1 big sucker and the fuel-pak I set the fuel pak to the series of numbers it gave for this installation and already had to e-mail vance and hines to tweek the settings, I think fuel-pak is great it's a lot cheaper than the $400.00 Harley download you can only get from them but we need the freedom to adjust things to our own bikes, I think mode 1 is the idle.
  4. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Biker1953,
    Your setup is, I believe, the same as I'm planning. What was going on that you had to tweek the setting and which modes did you have to change? I'm wondering also how much program dirfference there would be between the '07 Heritage and the '09. Wasn't '07 when Harley went to the EFI and 96 cubes?
    Danny
  5. biker1953

biker1953 New Member

Fuel Pak

Hello,it's good to talk to another fuel pak user,
    My original settings from V&H were FP-0604 after I started the bike it ran steady for a few minutes then it started to bog a little,it didn't stall but it sounded like it wanted to. when I rode which wasn't very far due to the weather here in NJ it sounded like it wanted to backfire when I down shifted. It didn't pop loud but it was there. I contacted V&H and they told me to change mode 7 to +5 mode 8 to +5 and mode 23 to 15, I didn't get a chance to ride the bike due to some snow here but I started it to let it heat up and it ran smoother but when I shut it down I smell some gas fumes, Now I'm waiting for another reply from V&H on this issue. The bike is 96 cubes and fuel injected with the oxygen sensors Harley puts on stock now. I think once the settings are worked out for the bike it will run great, My cousin has a 2003 Roadking and his runs great with the V&H fuel-pak with a high performance air intake.
    good to share with you, Domenic.
  6. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Domenic,
    0604 is the map that they sent me for the set up I plan so I'll keep in mind the changes that they sent you in the event that I have similar problems. The fuel smell you have may be due to the "run rich" state that the computer base program operates the engine at when it first starts. How long did you let it run? I have the same thing for the first few minutes then it goes away. Good luck.
    Danny
  7. biker1953

biker1953 New Member

Fuel-Pak

Hi,
    It's been cold up here so I let it heat up for about 15 minutes then put it away, I had the same thing when I put the straight shot slip-ons on the bike but I thought the fuel-pak would solve the problem.
    I think it's going to take a couple of tries to get it right.
  8. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I haven't bothered to note the numbers and settings on my fuel pack, I have V&H Big Shots and an Arlen Ness Big Sucker on my 07 Dyna, and it's really smooth and very powerful, with serious torque, no wavering in any gear. My very experienced riding friends are greatly impressed.

Keep at it, it's worth the effort.
  9. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Keep posting the V&H follow-ups as well as how the new setting are working for you (and your bike). It's supposed to get up to the 40's Thursday and maybe 50 Friday so I hope to get a few miles in if all the salt dust gets off the roads. Riding in this kind of weather could probably have a beach salt air effect on a bike.
    Danny
  10. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Sounds like you're getting GREAT performance. What's your MPG?
    Danny
  11. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Danny, since it's still a fairly new bike and being the off season, I haven't done any real steady highway riding yet, it's hard to say exactly what my mpg is. When I gave it a little thought, I think I was around 38 city, 45 highway. I'll pay closer attention soon and try to be more exact.
  12. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

I checked my milage last time I was out and have 488 showing. Last check I am getting about the same as you so hopefully when I get to do a Stage 1 it can do a bit better. But then if it would just warm up enough to ride, that in itself would be better.
  13. biker1953

biker1953 New Member

Hi,
    Are you big shots duels? my cousin has duels on his bike and it runs great with the fuel pak and high performance air intake. I kept the stock set up then just slipped on the straight shots.
  14. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

I believe HellBoy has the Bigshots. I'm planning the Straightshot SO's when I finally get around to doing mine.
    Danny
  15. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Biker1953, yes, I do have the Big Shots duals with the Arlen Ness Big Sucker and the V&H fuel pack.

Dmassey, I'd think twice about Straight Shots. I'm not familiar with them, but if they're anything like the straight pipes I had on my Sportster, fuggedaboudit, I put baffles in my straight pipes to improve back flow and it still sucked. V&H straights may be different, but I'd look at the Big Shots if I were you.
  16. biker1953

biker1953 New Member

Fuel-pak

Hi,
    I put the straight shot hs slip=ons and the bike sounds and runs good, it's the fuel-pak that had the issue, Vance and hines gave me some changes to cut back on the fuel part of the mixture so I think I will give a hundred miles or so to see the performance, True duels are the way to go no matter what pipe you use but I wanted to save a little cash and it payed off for now.
    Thank you for the advise on the pipes.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  17. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Art NJr often recommends slip-ons. He has a lot of Sporty experience, so slip-ons should be great. Good luck.
  18. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Talked to Vance and Hines about their fuel pack over a year ago. Told them I had put supertrapp 2in1 pipes on my bike and a arlen ness stageII air kit and was gonna put some woods cams in.
    They told me if I was going to do anything other than a air box and pipes not to put the unit on my bike.
    I got a Arlen Ness Big Shot till Zippers released the Thundermax for the TBW for the 08 touring.
    I don't care what it cost. I've had Thundermax on bikes and they can't be touched by anything other than units put on a dyno machine like the TTS Mastertune or a sert. And when you do any changes to them you need to have yer bike redynoed.

So if anybody is going past the stageI mods Vance and Hines suggest to not keep their unit on their bike.
  19. biker1953

biker1953 New Member

Thank you for that good advice It's great to get real answers from people who had experience.