1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Gas leaking from air filter

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by jonmarin82, Aug 21, 2013.

1. jonmarin82

jonmarin82 Member

Hello Ken,
    I have a 2006 883 sportster and I recently replace the main jet to a 175, pilot jet to a 44 and added the EZ-Just Mixture Screw since I changed the stock air filter for a screamin eagle air cleaner and Vance & Hines shortshots pipes, the problem that the bike has is that every time that I ride for a long time gasoline will start leaking from the air filter so far I have cleaned the carburetor and checked the float adjustment.
    Any suggestions to know what might be wrong?
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Sounds like it could be that "main jet installed upside-down" problem, or a stuck float. Odds are if it started after a needle change, it happened then.
  3. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

As Red mentions above:
    - needle jet upside down or missing
    - stuck float, float valve, or debris lodged between the float valve.
  4. jonmarin82

jonmarin82 Member

Thank you guys for your help! I checked and cleaned all the parts that you mentioned but the problem continues, do you think that the issue might be exhaust reversion?
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Reversion will generally cause deceleration pop or crackle, and in real bad cases cause a backfire back through the carburetor. The problem you describe sounds more like fuel that is flowing uncontrollably by way of a worn float needle valve. They can look perfectly fine but when the rubber tip becomes slightly worn or hardened over time they will leak fuel into the bowl and flood the air cleaner element. What is worse is allowing fuel to wash down your cylinders after you stop, which in turn dilutes your oil and increases wear.
  6. jonmarin82

jonmarin82 Member

Hi Ken,
    I replaced the float needle valve and the problem continues do you have any other suggestions to solve the issue?
    Thanks!
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

what kind of fuel petcock do you have, a gravity (pingle) or stock HD

stock hd takes vacuum to operate so when it's off, nothing flows
    a pingle flows all the time.

Reason I ask is it sounds like a typical stuck float issue, fuel just doesn't
    rise up out of a carb unless it's got somewhere to go, like water.

Fuel tank is above the carb, so fuel flows to the bowl, once the bowl is full
    it's flowing out the carb into the engine or out the filter to the ground.

My guess is the floats not set properly and it's not closing fuel flow off
  8. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

+1 DITTO!