1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Gearboxes

Discussion in 'Projects' started by gear, Oct 20, 2010.

1. gear

gear New Member

How are ya, I am thinking about reconditioning bike transmissions. I know nothing about bikes in regards to which are the more popular and what not. I do know how to cut gears and the fitting and turning side of things. I was hoping somebody could give me some ideas on which type of transmissions that I might find that have been crunched and are worth putting effort into reconditioning. I am thinking of working on mainly American and British made bikes.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

You might try cragslist in your area , or ebay or some of the local indy shop's On harley sportsters the trans is interal as with the brit bikes harley big twins are independent from the engine & driven by chain /belt to make them work together good luck & let us know
  3. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

If you can do it cheaper than baker with the same results - you'll have more work than you could handle.
    Right now baker trans are running above 4k for a 5 spd(new) and replacement parts are gold. Andrews also makes good gears too, but again the prices are high.
    I suggest checking out the compition and then make your plans.
    Always nice to see someone new jump into the biss. - Heck ! even Arlen Ness was a newbie once.:D