1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Go West My Son!

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by JohnnyBiker, Mar 3, 2013.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Yesterday I had a conversation with Red Rider telling him that it would take an act of God for Hot Rider and I not to be able to make it out to his place this summer. I have the funds set aside and am ready to roll other than than the fact that my Harley just isn't put together just yet, but it will be by then.:cool:

I am starting the rout planning and I have come up with a very simple rout. One that was picked by google maps as I just am not sure what it the best way to go as I have never been that far west or south. I have decided that I would rather take a more south west rout so that is going to take me to South Dakota right around Rapid City or even Sturgis. From there I will be heading south towards Denver as I have a cousin that lives there and would like to see if I can take shelter there and also to see him. I usually do not get to see him unless someone dies up here. From there it looks that they want to take me to Salt Lake City and then to Sparks Nevada.

I have one basic search question so far. How do I determine what the distances between fill ups are along this rout? Meaning, how do I know when I can fuel? Is there a feature on Google maps that I can utilize?

Hot Rider and I have talked and She has left this up to me but I have a choice of either purchasing an HD GPS that I can enter my specific rout into, or go ahead and buy LED headlights so I can see better. That is a touch one and will address that later, but I am putting that out there as I do need your guy's help to decide.

So far, my trip out there, just to meet Red at his home, it will be an almost 2,000 mile ride. Not bad for the first long trip that I have taken.

Also while talking with Red, he suggested that we pack lightly. Sounds good to me as I do not like to carry along a lot unnecessary shiit. Hot Rider usually isn't that bad with that so not too much to worry about there. One of the things that he did suggest that I do think that I must do is to carry along those 1 gallon gas cans that fit in the saddle bags. I like that idea...:D:cool:

The time of year that I am looking to do this is around the 4th of July as I would get some free time from work without having to use my vacation. If I plan this right, I will have 2 free days of riding which will take me about a day out based on a 650-750 mile average days of riding. Lots to consider....
  2. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

Sounds like you got a plan....650 to 750 miles a day seems like a lot of hours in the saddle for one day, reckon yalls young bodies can handle it though:D
  3. JohnnyBiker

Not sure if you have met my wife Hot Rider through the forum or not but Hot Rider, Red Rider and I did 400 in 7 hours when Red Rider was up here two summers ago. I posted on FaceBook a list that I got from HTT. Check it out and see what you think of it.. :D I figure if I can do 400 in 7 hours on my Sporster, I should be able to do 750 on my Road Glide without issue. :D
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

You can take my advice here or not but I'll tell you after traveling 650 miles a day heading back to Washington DC in 2011 that 750 miles riding two up will be very hard on you. Even doing those 650 mile days back to back started to really suck. You need to take into consideration the summer heat for one. Your younger so that helps. Personally I would not ride more than 10 hour days, you'll enjoy it much better and be better rested.
    As for gas some areas have gas stops far apart. I never relied on my GPS for gas unless it was getting really critical. I also never passed up a gas stop when after I had ridden 150 to 180 miles but I have the 6 gal tank. You will need to know what your fuel mileage is and judge it from that. Fuel mileage for loaded and two up is a lot different than riding solo. With the 5 gal tank you'll be looking for gas 125 to 150 miles. Besides stopping for gas is also a great way to get off and stretch and drink fluids, very important and not caffeine. Just a few suggestions.
  5. JohnnyBiker

I want to push it the first day so I make some good time and from there I think that I will take it easy. Before my build I was getting 49 mpg with Hot Rider on the back, but with a light load. I will be riding mainly interstate. I do like the idea of stopping every 150-200 miles to stretch and for liquids, that just makes sense to me. Thanks.
  6. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

Take sunscreen, rain gear, quart of oil, tire repair kit, drink water and a few clothes as u can always wash at hotels or buy new ones on the way. I found a GPS to be a good tool but I also carry a atlas of the U.S. for back-up. JMO. Have a great trip JB.
  7. JohnnyBiker

Yes, sunscreen is a must, I think that I am going to attempt to ride without a shirt so I do think that it will be needed. LOL. I think that I am going to pack like 4 pairs of pants, shirts, socks and underwear and that will be it. My GPS will be making the trip, great suggestion on the atlas, one just never knows. :D
  8. ultra200922

My wife and I tightly roll-up all our clothes and can easily get 4-5 changes onboard. I like to look at a atlas and memorize the main roads I want to take so I don't have to stare at it all day and use GPS when I want to go to an exact location. Just remember that riding without a shirt will dehydrate you faster, don't ask me how I know.
  9. JohnnyBiker

I can about imagine. :eek: Yes, that is how I would pack my cloths as well is to roll them nice and tight. The wife and I are going to buy some TBag luggage as I have heard such great things about them. The wife is asking if she can take a hair dryer along. I said yes, I will let that happen. :gah::roflmao:
  10. ultra200922

If a lady doesn't get her hair done the rest of the day will be no fun and a hair dryer does't take up much room. Take a swimsuit in case you want to relax in the hot tub at the end of the day in the motel.
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Your going to ride without a shirt, I see your new to distant riding. Not suggested for some important reasons, hydration, sun burn, and road rash if you happen to go down. If your after a tan go to a tanning booth before you leave. But you do what your gonna do. You'll learn.
    As for pants 3 is plenty as you can wear each pair for 3-4 days. Underwear, socks are throw away. Use em up then in the evening when you stop for the night go to a store and buy new ones. Less to wash. A Road Atlas is great tool, I like the Harley maps you get as a HOG member it lists all the HD shop locations.
  12. steveb

steveb Active Member

I know you are a bit younger than I am but from Minnesota to Rapid City on a hot day will kick your but. If you run the interstate out to Rapid City there are plenty of gas stations to stop at. When we go to Sturgis running at 80 I will fill up every 180 miles. Fighting the wind at 80 mph Harleys suck more gas.
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Buy the LED's from Jon.

Then order a refurbished GPS from tigerdirect/compusa
    With the savings.

Order a RAM mount from GPS City
  14. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Whatever time it takes you to get there. give yourself an extra day to get home,THAT'S when it becomes a grind. Also longsleeve T-shirts are a must. Also even an el-cheapo GPS can save your bacon,most will show gas stations.motels and resturants. carry some water bottles. make some good,rockin' CDs. Pay attention to fatigue. Enjoy the ride.
  15. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

Made plenty of the ibr's one a couple in particular was Altoona WI to the house in Cheyenne and/or back, around a 1000 mi and around a 16 hr ish ride, takin the 2 lanes aprrox 90% of the way, if'n your headed to Denver, add another 1.25 hrs to your ride. Myself GPS in the cage is nice, I like the little atlas's on the scooter though. When i run alone 125-175 miles between juice ups and gawk at the map while stretchin the legs. I have also ran the big road from the house to Chicago and back makes for a long day also, thing to remember is once you start pushin the Wyoming line your climbin at a faster pace and the head wind can be more intense and the fuel stops farther apart.
  16. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

Oh ya, as I mentioned I'm in Cheyenne roughly your half way point, I'll have the tooling ya need and the shop to do it in if you get in a pickle.
  17. JohnnyBiker

Awesome, I will keep that in mind. I am looking at some other routs and from the previous rout that I chose, I like the rout of using Interstate 35s to Interstate 80w a lot better. Fewer turns. then I will pass right through Cheyenne, then if you want we could hook up for some riding? Up to you.

I am considering changing the trip date as I will then have an extra three days off from work if I do that.

Red, get off the couch as I know you are feeling under the weather. :D
  18. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

Just give me a heads up, I work about 50-60% away from town, but if I'm around I'll have some cold ones on Ice
  19. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Travel light. Ride fast. Have fun.
  20. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

JB, I know the trip is going to be great, and if you get that bike tuned
    right you should get high 40's even in 50's with the CV carb.

Riding without a shirt is fun but not smart, especially in the summer
    in those areas, you are in for hot dry weather that will sap the energy
    and dehydrate you and HR, that makes for a non fun day.

Next day you can be in the rockies and freeze your butt off
    so you have to be prepared for both.

You'd be better off to get some good clothes that allow you both
    to stay cool and fresh, get a good water bottle for both and hydrate

Heres some tips of wisdom from the IBA. Iron Butt Association

IBA - World's Toughest Motorcycle Riders

650 is a long trip, plan the days, hit your marks and make
    them where you can get off the bike early enough to get dinner
    rest, have a break, don't drink caffene drinks, drink good energy drinks

In fact find an Advocate dealer and get some Rehydrate and Spark, mix it
    and use on the trip mixed in your water bottle, you won't tire, you won't
    have the ups and downs from cokes and coffee and you won't dehydrate.

Remember not only do you have a rider that is depending on you to make
    the trip fun and safe but you have kids at home wanting you to return.

So play it smart and safe and have a great trip...