1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Great Smokey Mountain Bike Week

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by sarge7, Feb 3, 2009.

1. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Finally got my reservations in for the motel; and the missus and I are going down 2 days early to get a little sightseeing in before the rally. Should be a hoot.
    Was gonna go to Mrtlye Beach but we all know what whats going down there. I don't need the hassle.And they don't want my money anymore so I fiqure this is will be a better deal all the way around.
    The Bike Week promoters are getting several tours lined up; Like the DRAGON and The DEVIL'S TRIANGLE and The BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY.
    Anyhow if you are in the area the dates are MAY 7-10, 2009 in Pigeon Forge TN. Comeon down and sit for a spell.
    This is going to be about 1200 miles round trip for me and I sure am looking foreward to it. It will be my first Iron Butt ride on my FLHTC since I got it last summer.
  2. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Doing the "Rally in the Valley" Maggie Valley, NC this April 25-27. Plan on touring around more than hanging at the rally. Should be fun!!!
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  3. allen5454

allen5454 New Member

First Year Going For Me!! Have You Been Before, Wondering What It Is Like. Normally Go To The Hoot In Knoxville. Have My Reservations Made As Well.
  4. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Allen 5454- You didn't say where? Did you mean GSMBW? or Maggie Valley?
  5. allen5454

allen5454 New Member

Gsmbw On May 7-10
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

guess i need a decoder ring..............:banghead: :roflmao:
  7. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

that's OK chucktx! - it'll be all better tomorrow. haha
    GSMBW = Great Smokey Mountains Bike Week in Pigeon Forge,TN.
    All Better now?:rolleyes:
  8. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Allen5454- Be doing the Dragon from the offical HQ's don't know what day but it will be a late morning or afternoon ride.
    Just keep a look out for the skinny guy on the Blue FLHTC with Indiana plates and we'll grab a cup.:)
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

much better!!!!!!!!!! thanks!!:)
  10. allen5454

allen5454 New Member

sarge7 - thanks will keep an eye out for you. I will be on the titantuim gold wing with Ga tags. looking forward to having a cup.
  11. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

done deal!:)
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Ride the dragon during the week, not the weekend, too many cages on weekends and squibs trying to set speed times.

Also ride it from the TN side to NC, that way you are on the outside of the road away from the inside corners on the mountain and less gravel.

Don't fall off though, long way down.

Don't try and set a fast time, unless you're on a Duc or 600 sport bike, it's not worth the chance.

Stop at the store at the end in NC it's a neat place and get the Tshirt.

There are a lot better roads than the dragon,

Ride the Cherahola Skyway which is in that area, great views sweepers,

Watch out for Smoky in TN, cops are all over the area up there especially on weekends.

It's a fun place.
  13. allen5454

allen5454 New Member

Thanks For The Info Sounds Like A Fun Time. Here The Dragon Is Fun To Ride. On A Goldwing Don't Think I Will Try For A Speed Record.
  14. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

skyway

I Plan on hitting the Cheroholo skyway also and if time permits the Devil's Triangle- The Rally sponsers are suppose to be setting up a meeting place so we can all ride as group. With different depart times so it doesn't become a pack.
    Personnally I would like to keep it down to 4-6 bikes per group but - I'll pay that by ear when I find out how many are going to each run; might have to adjust a little bit to make it happen. Wouldn't do to wind up over the side.
  15. allen5454

allen5454 New Member

Cheroholo sky is beautiful, plan on doing the Devil's Triangle myself. want too see what is new with some of the vendor's this year as well.
  16. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

We're going to be riding the Tail of the Dragon after Daytona, weather permitting. The Cherhola Skyway is definitely more rewarding, but you have to do the Tail if you're there. There's a small bike shop a little ways down on the NC end. Great guy. I was there in a very off day. Very little traffic on the Tail and the bike shop owner was cool about letting me change my headlight in his parking lot and let me use his bathroom. He sells a lot of the merchandise too, at reasonable prices.

As far as riding the Tail - or Deal's Gap, depending on who's promoting it - it's best if you can separate yourself from others as much as possible. Everyone has their own comfort level. It's frustrating to get behind someone who prefers to stay perpendicular with the road, but it also sucks to have some hot rod on your tail. I had a cop behind me, so that kept things moderate. I've heard they're really bad about ticketing bikes that cross the yellow line, even though they do it themselves and cages won't get tickets. I'm sure it has to do with riders getting crazy and killing themselves.

I've never heard of Devil's Triangle. What's that?
  17. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Hot01- Devil's triangle is a loop just west of knoxville and runs pretty close to Oak ridge (just south) - from what I've been told it's about a four hour run from Pigeon Forge and one of the most scenic rides in the area with enough twisties and switchbacks to make it interresting.
    According to my Google map of the area it starts at Lenoir City,TN goes west to Oak Ridge area then loops back to Lenoir City. Length is 42.82 miles round trip not counting ride from Pigeon Forge where we'll be staying.
    I think the web site for GSMBW has a link to that ride also. But don't remember for sure if that's where I got the info from, I'll try and track down exactly where I got this from and post it later.
    Hope this helped and also hope to see you there.:)
    The wife and I are going down on the 4th to get a little shopping done before the event starts on the 7th.
  18. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

hotroadking-
    Thanks for the heads up - this is my first mountain trip on two wheels mostly done flatland midwest runs. So I'm going to take it slow and easy and enjoy every minute. I've heard of the Johnson's and have been to their web site now I'm looking foreward to stopping at the store.
  19. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Also found out that Captain Itch is going to have a booth set up for all the leather guru's out here. It's gettin closer and I'm almost ready to roll; see ya'll there.:rocket_bike:
  20. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Sarge, we had planned on going up this weekend to watch a friend that lives here compete at Country Tonight (Pigeon Forge).....Plans got washed away and got a bad cough and cold!! Oh well, that is two weeks (back to back) things didn`t go as planned.....Better weather is just around the corner!!