1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Gutting the SE Touring Mufflers

Discussion in 'Projects' started by FLHTbiker, May 16, 2009.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I purchased a Set of SE touring mufflers off E-bay last month. Noticed that they were pretty well plugged up so I installed them for a test run. Sounded like a Honda they were so quiet. So I decided to pull them apart and here is the results. First photo is the inner parts with the baffle that I ground the welds off of. I then ground the welds off the end caps to remove it so I could pull out the HD baffle. Put the end cap back on spot welded the cap back on. All that is to these mufflers is the inner metal mesh which is then wrapped by fiberglass. Put the inner metal mesh back in taking heavy wire and re-securing the fiberglass back secured around the mesh.
    The end result is now a nice mellow sound that sounds like it should. I think the fiberglass takes a lot of the harsh sound out just leaving a good HD sound. Next project will be to find some headers.

Attached Files:

2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

nice job!!!
  3. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

what to good to just fork out the 500 bucks had to go and do something smart oh, oh sorry dreamin I was a dealer, nice job did ya have chrome peeling problems.
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yea, sick and tired of dealer prices. The hardest part was grinding off the spot welds on the metal mesh to remove the baffles and then removing the end caps to get the baffles out. Little effort and a bit of work saved over 400 bucks buying at stealer prices.
  5. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

MAN are you in trouble!!! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: