1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

hanging idle after Tuners kit, 99 Sportster 883

Discussion in 'CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit' started by bigguyonline, Apr 23, 2018.

1. bigguyonline

bigguyonline New Member

I rebuilt my CV carb and installed the parts that came with the Tuners Kit (Needle and 170/42 jets), new pump, float fuel valve, gaskets also from other CV kits. Plus changed to a Max Fuel Inlet elbow and High Flow Fuel Valve. There was definite performance improvement from before...no hesitation whatsoever.

However, when I blip the throttle it seem to hang around 1500 rpm (don't have Tach) for a half second prior to settling to idle. This is pretty consistent. I know half a second isn't much it doesn't seem right. Is this normal? I don't recall having this before the rebuild.

Again the performance improvement is amazing and the bike is running well otherwise :)

Hoping for some help before I tear it apart again.

Thanks
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hanging idle is consistent with a binding throttle cable or the return (push) cable. The throttle is likely hanging open slightly upon closing.
    bigguyonline likes this.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

check cables, are they seated properly, loosen up the adjusters, remove the air cleaner cover so you can see the throttle plate, adjust the pull cable until you get the throttle plate fully open, one you get it to that point stop adjusting.

Then set the return cable, lock them both down...
    bigguyonline likes this.
  4. bigguyonline

bigguyonline New Member

Thank you both.

I finally had some time to check the throttle cable. It seems to snap back fine but I still took both cables out, lube them then reassemble adjusted as per FSM which is what hotroadking suggested. It turns much better than before... unfortunately it still hangs...but it is even more evident now that it snaps back as I can hear it hit the metal stipper as soon as I release the hand grip. In the process I also found my cable frayed on the hand grip side and has ordered new cables from Harley.

I will test it again once I install the new cables but even with old ones right now I don't feel any binding...do you gents think it's the frayed cable or should I pull the carb apart again and check to see if I miss anything?

Thanks
  5. hotroadking

I would bet it's the frayed cable binding.
    bigguyonline and baggerpaul like this.
  6. bigguyonline

bigguyonline New Member

Update...in case it helps others

The hanging idle got progressively worse until it wouldn't idle. Hmmm...leak somewhere. Found out when I installed the VOES switch I didn't swivel it towards the front so the sharp edges cut into the Vacuum hose. Idle problem fixed :) Still hangs a little when I blip the throttle.

New control cables came in Friday and installed them yesterday... hanging idle gone! Now I can go back to blipping my throttle as I ride :)

Thanks again for all the help!
    Red Rider likes this.
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Updates are GREAT on problems/solutions. Thanks for sharing!
  8. hotroadking

good job thanks for the update