1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hard bags on my RK Classic

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Tomflhrci98, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I did not plan to spend money on this bike but a neighbor had these bags for $300 and I know the skirts cost that much alone so I bought em. But now I'm not sure I like em. The wife and other neighbor like them alot, but I'm not so sure.
    What ya all think?

I have to get hardware for em so their on without the rubber bushings underneath.
    Where do you think I should go to get hardware?

Attached Files:

2. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

They look ok. I like the side view a lot. The ovals don't really quite go with the fillet of the bag though. I don't know if I could buy a lid for what you got the bags for. good deal
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Good price nice lookibgp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I think they look good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

They look good on there , you just so used to the leather look , & on the plus side you can gram more junk into the hard bags
  7. Tomflhrci98

The kits I found on eBay are all from China and a quarter of the price from harley. I ordered a kit for 125. We'll see how good they are. The hinge is what worries me the most.

I ordered a lock set from the dealer to match me ignition.

I found out that harley sells the rear fender street glide extension for 120. Not bad really. And that's what I need to fill out the rear look. the bad part is the tail light for this extension is over $200.
  8. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Yeah, it always becomes one more thing to buy after another, but it appears you can carry more stuff. The bagger crowd is always looking to do that :D. What's next, a trunk? LOL .
    I have read that other forum members found the Harley hinges are cheezy. Maybe the oriental hardware will have better hinges. Good luck!
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  9. Tomflhrci98

I always thought the classic bags could hold more but now that I look compair side by side it looks like your right. I do like the fact that I can lock them.
  10. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

It looks like you might not have to paint the bags, either - definitely a plus.
  11. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

I like the look, but I'd likely remove those lower flares on the bottom if they can come off. They kind of ruin the flow of the lines at the rear. Side view looks nice, though, so what do I know. Some chrome latches and chrome trim and you're all set!
  12. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

not a fan of the extensions...there just for looks. I'd stay away from Chinese anything and go with OEM MOCO.
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Have a friend who had the same looking bag extensions installed at Street Vibs and they don't look to bad. They screwed em in from underneath the bags so they could be removed. He also bought a black bag latch from Harley that matches the lowers which looks pretty good together. But Josh is right seems like there is always one thing after the other that needs to be added.
  14. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

+1 agree
  15. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

If it had the right mufflers on it it would look better at the back
  16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

They look fine to me, like the extensions with the art deco style chrome lines, a longer tail dragger on the fender would be cool as well.

I'd vote leave um like that, with hinges though,
  17. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

I think you'll like the hardbags, got a couple buddies with RK's and they are looking to do the same,. I can tell you from what they have found you did well on the price. Myself, I don't care for the extensions,, on your's or anyone else's bike,, but that's just me. In the end, my opinion means nothing,, it's all what you like on your bike. Good buy I'd say.