1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Harley Compensator

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jan 1, 2015.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

So what did Harley Davidson do so different in late model year bikes in regards to design of their compensator's? I read a lot of posts on various forums about the compensator. It seems that the issues weren't a huge problem until the 103 became more prevalent. What gives? I haven't had any problems with mine.
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

They got a compensator that has Oil holes in it. And they have a piece of plastic that is epoxyied on the outer primary to catch oil and drop it on the compemnsator.
    I have one on my bike.
    Got it under warranty. The HD tech took me in the shop and showed it to me.
  3. cardboard

New compensator has yellow paint on it.

[​IMG]
  4. cardboard

You can see the metal clips holding the plastic in place while the Epoxy is drying.
    This piece of plastic is suppose to help supply more oil to the compensator by catching it and dropping it on the compensator.

[​IMG]
  5. cardboard

I also hear Baker has one he is about to release.
    After seeing his primary tensioner for the new bikes.
    not sure I'm gonna like it.
    The new bikes does not have a inspection cover to adjust the Primary chain tensioner that he designed..
  6. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Early model comp very seldom have problems. Very corse deep splines and strong tool steel springs .make for a great comp .late model comps have many small splines and lack lube to them and wear out. They dont handle big torque well when people lug tjem the pulses kill the comp.people who are not riding them correctly wear them out soon in stock forum
  7. cardboard

Didn't have a problem with mine till I put this primary chain tensioner on
    1500 miles after I put it on. it burned up.
    Evidently the bikes that are newer saying above a 08 model , the tensioner has not been tested.
    And they had a different vendor building it.
    Needless to say. I'm lucky I had a good HD dealer and a extended warranty.
    I paid 50.00 for them to access the problem.

[​IMG]
  8. cardboard

9. baggerpaul

Yep to much tension loads the hell out of them for sure
  10. cardboard

HD mechanic asks if he could put my stock tensioner back in. I said Please
    He showed to how to put the primary chain tensioner back in Completely loose. And allowing it to adjust itself. Got about 10,000 on it with no problmes

[​IMG]
  11. cardboard

I was told to ride it. The primary chain would wear in the shoe giving it the tension Adjustment it needed. The chain is suppose to wear into the shoe. The shoe looked right.
    The Head Tech at the HD dealership that was doing the 120R motors said it had way too much tension on it. He tried everything to move it. But couldn't.
    He said he hopes I haven't done damage to my sprocket shaft bearing in the motor, and the output shaft on the tranny bearings.

Lesson learned listening to everybody screaming in being scared that the stock Harley primary chain tensioner was s big problem. After I Had 2 bikes with over 50,000 on each of them with the stock primary chain self adjusting tensioner.

[​IMG]
  12. baggerpaul

Yep i hear ya stock stuff sometimes is better than aftermarket. No one has more money than the motor company for research and development.
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  13. cardboard

I had rode the bike for several thousand miles. Took the bike back to the dealer to have it checked. The Head HD tech had the outter primary off. He showed me how he could put pressure on the primary chain, and the stock self adjusting primary chain tensioner would flex. Giving it some slack in the chain.
    He said this is how Harley designed it Harley has spend millions on the design and testing it.
    Not if you take it apart. and you use a tie strap and strap it to take it out.
    and you put it back in and cut the tie strap. You installed it WRONG.
    Now when you have a problem you want to blame Harley Davidson for your work.
    He said this is why you put it in completely unadjusted, and allow it to adjust itself.

Too many people wanting to be mechanics. Don't use locktite where it needs to be used. And they use the wrong color. They don't torque things to proper specifications.
    And use junk torque wrenchs.
    And they don't have a HD manual on their bike. Or don't reat it.

Then blame Harley for the problems.

The people out there working on the bikes. A lot of them has done their homework.
    And know how to work on these bikes. But people buying them just say, it cost too much for them to work on them.
    You buy the tools, you buy the manuls. You get the schooling. See how much money you have tied up in them. And if you screw them up, how much it cost to repair them.
  14. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I think I'll be leaving my tensioners just as they are. I never liked running any chain or belt on anything, machinery at work or the bikes, too tight, too hard on bearings. I've not had any issues with the primary. Initially I wasn't sure about the self tensioning on the new bike but it's been fine. I pull a trailer and haven't had any slop. works good enough for me
  15. JohnnyBiker

How can just the design of the splines limit the amount of lubrication that it receives? I mean, I get that the splines are more close together but the actual amount should be the same?
  16. cardboard

The newest 2014 SE compensator has oil holes and grooves cut into it so more oil can flow threw it.
  17. cardboard

Here is a video on the new compensator. It does not show the oil holes in the compensator.

And I do not agree with the dude about the stock primary chain adjuster.
    I have the HP that he is talking about.

18. JohnnyBiker

I have seen this before. Kind of a crappy video but it gives you a good idea.
  19. cardboard

[​IMG]

Have you also seen this?
    Can you see the oil holes in the compensator area.
  20. JohnnyBiker

Should work well.