1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Harley Stage 1 download vs. after market tuner

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by SLAllard, Oct 7, 2011.

1. SLAllard

SLAllard New Member

I just traded my 2009 Road King with Pythons, S&S breather and a Power Commander V for a 2012 Street Glide and starting the process over. My riding style is street and long distance (I had 32.6 K on the Road King) so I'm thinking fuel mileage is more important than performance. Plus cost is an issue this time as well. So I'm thinking instead of an more expensive after market tuner such as a Power Commander V I'm just going to go with a standard Harley Stage 1 download with another set of Pythons and some sort of after market breather. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on my idea.

Thanks
    Stan
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

You're going to get a lot of different answers to this , if your wallet is thin I would just go with the hd stage one cause the rest are costly
  3. SLAllard

SLAllard New Member

Yes I figured as much and that's fine I like hearing everyone's opinions.
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Lmao get ready then :) how do like the python pipes ?
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Well those here know on my 2011 Limited Ultra I went the whole route including the SE Race Tuner, pips, SE cleaner, and cams. Gas mileage sucked and was not happy. Talked with another shop and they told me to dump the tuner. Said to put the HD download in it. Have many Friends here that I know that run the HD stage 1 download and there running great. Sense mine has cams he recommended the stage 2 HD download. I had em install it and the bike runs great. Took a trip this past summer around the USA and had a lot of power and the bike even in the extreme heat back east ran great. My mileage went up from 35 to 45 HP is right at 90 and has 114 torque.
    That 103 motor is a great motor just needs like all new bikes to let em breath better.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Like Cowboy said get ready there are a lot here that run various tuners and your gonna get a lot of opinions. Good luck:D
  7. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

well here ya go on 10 and up they are leaner than before they got cats on them and trying not to destroy the catalyst they run them very lean . my thinking is put the pipes on and do the stage one down load in it and have the air fuel mixture checked on the dyno . if its good let it be if not have them try a stage 2 and do another pull .jmo
  8. olbill

olbill Active Member

I'm with Marc i have a 11 limited with S.E. Fatshot's S.E. Deep Breather and a stage one download i get 46-48 on the road 40 around town did Sturgis this year and it ran perfect.

OLBill
  9. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

According to Amer.Iron Mag. "You can do the free flowing mufflers first,ride the bike and the stock computer will adjust for them.Then do the free flowing intake and again the computer will adjust for it. You should end up with the oeriginal stock lean mixtures. And an increase in performance and unless your heavy on the throttle a slight increase in milage. Of coarse we like throttle so don't really expect any increase in milage around town. I did a stage one on my 09 FLHX with the H-D canned download and have been very satisfied with it. P-C and Dyno run gets about 2-3 more hp. Have seen a lot of dyno charts from my local H-D shop to back it up.
  10. charlie46

I have an 09 streetGlide with SEII mufflers,Ventilator intake,H-D canned download.Am putting out 70.3 HP/81.4 tq/lbs
    Does anyone have an opinion on,(I'm sure) Would i bennifit gettng a P.C V from Fuel Moto set up for my 09 application? And would I need the O2 sensors or just run open loop?:confused:
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Fuel Moto USA

Comes with map that was created on a dyno
    for your style bike and engine size with similar
    parts.

Best bang for the buck.
  12. charlie46

Thanks HRK
    How 'bout 0 2 sensors ? CAn I run good without them?
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  13. baggerpaul

Closed loop fuel control is allways the way to go in my opinion .nothing better as far as I know . Helps with change of elevation . Parts that you add later on . Power on tap is awesome with closed loop . Your fuel map will allways be correct . And its not narrow band on the pcv v it wide band.
  14. charlie46

Thanks BP. Bike runs great now, just considerin....
  15. baggerpaul

you know charlie with the bike you have . i would get a tts and use your pcm without a piggyback tunner . the ecm in your bike is closed loop . allready and tts has lots of maps for your bike .
  16. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Riding 2 up I'm gittin 38.9 mpg. How are ya gittin 46-48
    I didn't git that new.
  17. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Fuelmoto makes a Stainless header pipe that has both size bungs. So you can run what you want.
    I'd git the jackpot stainless header pipe to git rid of the catalyst converter and do a download.
  18. charlie46

Thanks but I'm not familiar with tts. Any more info on it ??
  19. charlie46

Thanks, No Cat on my '09
  20. olbill

olbill Active Member

Beats me how all i do is ride and fill it up it may have something to do with weight i always ride solo My 08 road king would do 50 on a good day again sols