1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Help needed=27207-93 Carb issues

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 1993 FLHTC, May 23, 2016.

1. 1993 FLHTC

1993 FLHTC Member

I have a 1993 FLHTC and have been having issues with the carburetor. Last year one of the lifter tappets broke and wiped the cam. My shop replaced all lifters, tappets, pushrods, cam (510V), new/used carb, and rocker covers. Still coughing on me sometimes and difficult to ride slow. While riding this weekend at 65-70 mph highway started coughing and running bad mostly while going down hill (no load). This only happened a few times and then cleared up. played with choke a little and felt a pick up in the motor. Gas is good and both gas filter and air filter are clean. Checked for water in gas too. I am thinking that I need to re-jet it. Took the carb off after this weekends ride and after reading a lot about tuning it found this out. Am I starving? Have Open (punched) Sampson Mufflers and power cones installed for back pressure.

Main Jet is a 175
    Pilot Jet is a 42. do I go to a 46 or 48?
    Mixture screw was turned out 5 3/4 turns. I know this is bad from reading
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Main seems a bit small, 180 would be better
    pilot jet I would move it up.

Since you just had all the work done, check everything
    is tight and sealed, a leak will cause a lean condition.

Since you were going downhill, was it steep?
    fuel moves forward in the tank, if you were low on gas
    and going down a hill like in san francisco maybe you
    just starved it for fuel.
    1993 FLHTC likes this.
  3. 1993 FLHTC

1993 FLHTC Member

Bought and installed a CVP-PREMKIT1340 [CVP-PREMKIT], Took my time cleaned everything well installed a #46 Pilot and a 180 Main jet. adjusted the EZ-just mixture screw to 2 and 1/4 turns out, installed a 5/16" high flow hose and max inlet elbow.
    Rode to Rolling Thunder and it runs better than ever before. Absolutely no hesitation or coughing at speed. Gained a bunch of Power!!
    Tomflhrci98 likes this.
  4. Silent-Dutch

Silent-Dutch Active Member

Good to hear ride safe..