1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Help with CV Harley Pan Head

Discussion in 'Other CV Performance products' started by PanEd, Jan 26, 2013.

1. PanEd

PanEd New Member

I put a used CV on my 58 pan head. The bike starts better than ever and runs better than the stock linkert. I purchased and installed the EZ mixture screw (what a great product, worth twice the price when tuning with motor at operating temperature). I'd like to see I can improve the performance without making it start harder (kickstart only). The bike runs ok, but lacks power (I know, it's a Pan)
    The facts:
    1. Stock 1958 Harley 74
    2. Stock cam
    3. Aftermarket dual exhaust with mufflers (Cycle Shack or Custem Chrome))
    4. K&N 6"x2.23" air filter
    5. 175 mainjet, 42 pilot jet
    The CV carburator is from a Calif. FX (#27504-96). I want to install the low profile accelerator nozzle. Would you recommend replacing the slide spring? Should I replace the needle? If so, with the CVP spring or the N65? shim washers on needle? Replace the emulsion tube with CVP velocity?
    Thanks for any advice,
    Ed
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2013
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I would stick with the stock accelerator pump nozzle since the low profile version is for those seeking a boost under higher RPM's.

The 2 things I'd change at minimum are the pilot jet and needle.

1) Change the pilot jet to 44. I would think that with a #42 your mixture screw is out around 3+ turns to keep it from coughing when cold.

2) The needle on a California FX would have been lean, if the needle wasn't already changed. Switch to the CVP needle (no shims) and save yourself the trial and error you would need with the N65. Yes I make the N65 but for your bike I would go with our velocity needle for big twins.
  3. PanEd

PanEd New Member

Ken,
    Thanks for advice!
    Would the CVP slide spring help or hurt? velocity emulsion tube?
    I'm thinking about buying the tuner's kit if these parts will help.
    Thanks,
    Ed
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi Ed, yes the Tuners Kit is the best overall value compared to purchasing components separately. The spring, emulsion tube, needle, and other parts are paired together in the kit to work together. The other advantage of the kit is the inclusion of set up and tuning instructions. You already have the EZ-Just so the standard kit is what you would need.