1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Heritage Back on the Road

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Finally....After 8 years it's rolling again.
    When I got it from the place I used to keep it the clutch(Scorpion) was stuck solid,tried a few tricks to free it up without taking it apart but that was a waste of time.
    Took the plates and steels out,they looked OK so back in they went, adjusted the primary chain and clutch put 22-24 ozs B&M Trick Shift in cleaned and adjusted air mix on the Mickey Roonie, put new black front wheel with stainless Buchanan spokes on.
    Went for a shake down....Shifting 1st to 2nd was smoother than it's ever been,but the clutch started slipping when I hammered it in 3rd and 4th....shifting was good with the revs up at arounf 3000rpm(no tach yet) but 3rd,4th,and 5th were still stiff when just going slow.
    So back into the clutch for more adjustments,this time 1/2 turn out on adjuster screw and 1/8" freeplay at the perch. Clutch springs were set at 5ft-lbs a mix of gold & green when it was slipping,reset set them to 7 ft-lbs.
    Another shakedown run, seems like no slipping, so I hammer it in 3rd and hit 4th seemed to hold,and still pulling,glanced down at speedo and it was at 140 km/h(87MPH for my US friends;)) hit 5th and kept pulling so I think I have the clutch problem gone....
    While zipping along in 5th a thought hit me, the front Avon Gangster on here is about 12 yrs old and the rear 10 402 about 10 or 11 yrs:eek:...Slow the Fck down. lol...a blowout would really suck.
    Back home and get the pair of Michelin CIIs I took off the King,because I found them slippery on rainy roads,but they're round(not scalloped) and only 2 yrs old.
    The rear is a 140 and it looks just by eyeballing it I have room to mount it.
    I have a rear FXR mag wheel that I'd like to put on to get rid of the spokes in the rear,I think it's not going to be a difficult swap.
    Just the mag wheel and tach left to install and find the green tack output wire on the Dyna 2000i ignition.I won't need an adapter to run the HD mini tach as far as I can tell from the Dynatech website.

The bike hasn't had a bath yet,but here's a few picks of how it's set up now, H1.jpg H2.jpg H3.jpg H4.jpg H1.jpg H1.jpg H2.jpg H3.jpg H4.jpg
    Roadster guy and badinfluence63 like this.
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

What year is the bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Lucifer

It's a 1990 FLSTC
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice Heritages are great bikes
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Pretty good for a 25 year old bike. Not an antique yet by N.C. standards (35 years) LOL.
  6. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

image.jpg Very nice you lucky dog...i'll trade ya? Transmission is fixed now too.
  7. Lucifer

LOL...No it's not an Antique,I don't think it ever will be by definition. I've found and used parts like the rear fender mud flap from the '62 P&A catalog,saddlebags from a 1998,100th anniversary handlebar top clamp and switch housings from 2007 to name a few I remember + a ton of non HD go fast parts.
    When the twinkies first came out I had the last laugh a lot of times when the weekend warriors would make fun of my little 80" Evo. They stopped laughing when we'd do a roll on out on the hwy;)
  8. Lucifer

Yeah,that's one sweet ride BI:cool: Had a '79 a couple of years ago,but had to unload it,didn't have the time or funds or place to work on it to bring it back to the way it should be...like yours is:D
  9. badinfluence63

I'm serious because i've always wanted a heritage. If you ever think you'd want to trade hit me up.
  10. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Nice looking bikes guys !
  11. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Nice work. 'must be very satisfying.
  12. Lucifer

Thanks fellas:)

I'll keep it in mind but I don't think it'll be going anywhere any time soon...
    It's not finished yet ....LOL

Heritages are nice and a lot lighter than a touring bike,I was kinda shocked when I got back on and noticed the weight difference between it and the King. Power to weight ratio is way up there on the Heritage compared to the King.
    I do have to raise the Heritage back up the inch I dropped it,frame rails have a lot of scrape marks from the tranny back and the muffler mount tabs and bolt heads are worn halfway up....
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Beautiful bike Lucifer love that Heritage look. Are the fishtails stock?
  14. Lucifer

Thanks. No, that's the Kerker crossover dual system, I have been considering chopping off the left side pipe,because it's pretty much a dummy pipe,but I probably won't...
    Even Kerker stated that if changing from the K3 baffle to the Mikuni PAT baffle,which I am, that you only need 1 PAT baffle installed in the right side muffler,very little exhaust flow from the left side muffler because of where the crossover pipe comes out of the rear head pipe and it makes a tight space even tighter...I'm trying to find the ignition system harness and green lead to hook up the tach and I can't even see the harness let alone the wire in it...and I even installed the nose cone Dyna 2000i and know where I routed the harness... lol
  15. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My 03 Heritage Springer has true duals on it with the V&H fishtails. The only problem with them is they are very loud. I'm looking for a quieter muffler but like the look of the fishtails. I will say with the 95 build and the V&H fishtails it's got a lot of power.
    Really like the look of you bike though.
  16. badinfluence63

Thats fair! Its win win for both of us no matter what,lol!
  17. Lucifer

Had to take the King yesterday for a pet food and beer run, Heritage can only hold 2-12 paks,King with tour pak can hold 2-30 paks and 2-15 pak in each saddlebag,so choice of ride was a no brainer:).
    I thought the King was kind of quick with the 95" kit and TW21, but it felt like a turd after riding the Heritage...What do I do now???lol
  18. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well ya coulda made two trips on the Heritage, more riding time...
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  19. Lucifer

:banghead Guess I should have said rider is a no brainer:p...lol...
  20. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Coulda taken the king twice and doubled up on the brew dummy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk