1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

High Oil Pressure

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Jan 5, 2011.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Took the new bike (103 Limited) back to the dealer yesterday as the oil pressure was running at 60. Start up and when the RPM's hit 2000 are at 60. The dealer pulled the cam area open and said there may have been a check valve sticking so they took the ball out and polished it. They said the oil pressure is now about 50 at 2000 RPM's and drops to about 35 now at idle after it has warmed up. Their head mechanic who is considered a top builder on the west coast said he is not concerned with it. Said he has seen some new bikes with tight motors having a high oil pressure until they get fully broken in. Bike has 900 miles on it now.
    I have never owned a new HD bike or any Harley with high oil pressure like that. Seems to me that something could still be wrong. I'm going to change oil to a Synthetic and see what happens. Bike does seem to run fine.
    Any thoughts?
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Zero is the number you worry about on pressure

Have them add an oil temp in place of the air temp
    then you can have something else to distract you
    from the pressure LOL
  3. FLHTbiker

So your saying that 60 PSI on a cold start is OK......I don't think so :(
  4. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

I like your logic!!!!!!! I don't know why they put a air temp gauge on anyhow. Heavens your setting in the weather. You know if it hot or cold.:banghead: Oil Pressure gauge would have made more sence but then they wouldn't have been able to seel you one.:mad:
  5. FLHTbiker

??? The bike already has a oil pressure gauge in the fairing on the right side
  6. hotroadking

Oil TEMP Gauge LOL
    Just busting your hump

My point was that having pressure is
    better than having no oil pressure

60 seems quite high at Idle
    and you were right to take it in.

Mine hits around 30 to 35

Newer pumps run better
    You had it in and noted the problem
    which is good,

No 60 isn't correct...
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if ya got it documented at the dealer your covered, warranty wise. my 06 has about 45 at start up.......30 at operating temp.....15 idling.........and i put a temp gauge and pressure gauge on mine...didnt come with any.....panhead is a different story.........the pressures will scare you.........lol lol
  8. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I wouldn't consider the new bike to even to be started broke in till 5000 miles.
    It will start running better then.
  9. FLHTbiker

Well the dealer still has it, didn't hear from them today.
  10. cardboard

If you wan to know. CAll the 1800 number for Harley and talk to them and let them know yer concerned and ask them what is acceptable and what might be the reason for the oil pressure reading yer gittin.:cool:
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the gauge could be faulty......
  12. cardboard

Does he have a direct hook or a sender unit in the head by the oil filter......
    I forgot.
    Know that's where you can screw a oil pressure guage in at.
  13. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

You're right. Mine runs about 45 above idle and around 10 at idle. Sorry I meant an Oil Temp gauge.
  14. FLHTbiker

Its got the oil sender unit by the oil filter. I'm assuming they checked that, at least I hope they did.
  15. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

I never had a pan head, but if you put a pressure gauge on my old XS650 at idle, when cold you get about 15 psi, when it gets warmmed up it gets 1 or 2 psi. About 5 to 8 warm at highway speed.
  16. cardboard

Know when you put cams in you put a stronger pressure relief spring in to make the oil pressure go up some.
    KNow this can't be the problem.
  17. FLHTbiker

Yep, and they thought it was sticking so they pulled it out and polished the ball. I'm going to drop by today and check on it.
  18. hotroadking

could be filter, if its bypass is stuck increasing pressure
  19. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

FLHTbiker, if your engine is brand new, the oil pressure is going to be reading higher.
    If the motor is cold on start-up, your oil pressure will be higher until it warms-up. What are the readings when it is warmed-up after riding a a couple miles?

Harley was getting a lot of inquiries about LOW oil pressure readings on FL's '07- '09's
    (2-5 at hot idle going up to only 20 psi. at speed). So they recalibrated the guages to read more normally: that is 10 psi at hot idle going up to 40 at speed. The old guages were just not accurate enough.

Also, you don't want to use synthetic oil in a new motor. Keep dino oil in it for at least 3,000 miles, or even until your third oil change (first oil change @ 1,000; second @ 3,000). New motors don't break-in properly with syn. oil.
  20. FLHTbiker

Start up pressure is 60 PSI. After warmed up 1500-2000 Rpm it is 60 PSI
    Idle after its warm is 45 PSI now.

They told me today that they replaced the check valve spring and ball, said it had a 30 percent spring in it after the cam install. I was thinking about the oil filter and as soon as I get the Springer done, almost there I'll put the Ultra up on the lift and pull the filter. Yea I know that when breaking it in to use dyno oil. The head mechanic at the dealer said he felt that it is OK and that it could be a tight motor and to keep a eye on it until about 2500 miles. I've had 3 new Harley touring bikes over the years and none have had oil pressure over 45 even on a cold start up. Weird one. :confused:

They also noticed which I had to about what appeared to be a build up of soot on the inside of the tip on the exhaust. They put the tuner on it and re-adjusted it, :) no charge either CB.