1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

How is this possible?

Discussion in 'CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit' started by Troy, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Troy

Troy Member

I bought the CVP slide and tuners kit to fix the ongoing popping sound that my bike was making...Well the popping stopped but now when I am finished riding I stink like exhaust. I have never had this problem before...Bike exhaust smells super rich now yet there is no popping, a little minor popping from the rear of the exhaust but no carb popping anymore. Can anyone help me out with this? It is driving me plain old nuts...
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You solved the popping with too much fuel,
    back down the pilot jet, set the screw at 2.5 turns
    out from bottom, start there
  3. Troy

Troy Member

I have also lost top end speed. I can't go any faster than 145kmh now...
  4. Troy

Troy Member

I guess I should provide a little more info...I have an 04 xl883 with a dragtron intake, k&n air filter, vance and Hines 3.5 inch slip ons with the standard baffles (which you can see right through so I know that they are pretty much open) I'm running the 44 for my idle and the 175 for my main as stated in the directions. Can anyone see a problem with this set up?
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I think I did the 45 & 180 on our 06 xl 883 with the 2in hooker pipes & see through baffles ,with the big sucker air cleaner , no popping & will run 100 no problem & still have a bit left to go & will cruise all day at 75 with me on it 175 lbs & wind shield
  6. Troy

Troy Member

Now it makes even less sense to me...45 and 180...I would think that would be way on the rich side if mines too rich.
  7. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

What size jets did you remove before the CVP kit went in? Did you use the CVP emulsion tube?
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I agree with HRK. Drop your pilot down one and reset idle mix. When you put the carb cover back on it is possible that you pinched the rubber diaphragm and you now have a hole in it. That will cause the condition that you are describing. I just had a similar issue on my 96 Sportster.
  9. Troy

Troy Member

There was no pinching, it is a brand new slide that fit in there perfectly...
  10. Troy

Troy Member

I had a 45 and a 180 in there before...
  11. hotroadking

Not all combinations are the same, engines react differently with different exhaust.
  12. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Your jetting isn't so overly rich or large that I would expect to see it cause the described problem. I suspect other issues such as a stuck or incorrectly adjusted float, bad float needle valve, or leaking accelerator pump diaphragm.

Also check that the needle jet is right side up. If upside down or missing this will make the fuel spray very uneven (gush compared to fine mist) at mid to wide open throttle.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here are some common problems and fixes for CV carburetors.
    http://www.cv-performance.com/harley-cv-carburetor-tuning-issues/

Are your spark plugs fouled?
  13. Troy

Troy Member

Thanks ken, and yes they are...I think it may be a missing needle valve because I didn't see one the last two times that I have taken the carb a part. To think of it, I have never seen one so someone else must have lost the darn thing years and years ago. I'll pull it a part and see. Hopefully this is all it is. I put the smaller jets in yesterday and it's still rich smelling. So here's hoping that's all it is!
  14. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Ah yes, this is common and easy to overlook but is critical in properly delivering an even air/fuel spray into the carburetor's intake path. Some other brand tuner kits had the needle jet integrated as part of their emulsion tube (which can wear out) so when you replace those with either a stock Harley or CVP emulsion tube you would be missing that jet nozzle as a separate piece. We sell that needle jet or your local Harley dealership has it as p/n 27100-88.
  15. Troy

Troy Member

I just gave in to my temptations and bought the s&s e carb and kit...I've been wanting it for the past year and just said screw it.
  16. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Not to burst your bubble, that is probably to much carb for a 883.
    I have a cv carb with cv performance parts on a stroker 103. It Works flawlessly.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  17. hotroadking

id have bought the $10 needle first lol
  18. Troy

Troy Member

I'm converting it to a 1200 over the winter. It'll be a great carb...my cv is just really old and I'm sick of screwing with it..