1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Installed my new T-Max Autotune today

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by plumbertom, Apr 8, 2010.

1. plumbertom

plumbertom Active Member

after I finished my stabilizers.
    Instructions were very good.
    I didn't have any problems getting the old stuff off and the new o2 sensors on and the wires routed.
    Hooked it up to my laptop and followed the step by step instructions to load a Base map and write it to the ECM.
    The short ride I took after it was running seemed to sound deeper and healthier as well as being more responsive to the throttle. It's supposed to improve with each ride so tomorrow I'll put a few miles on it.
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Way to go plumber, good luck tomorrow with the fine tuning, oh yea it's supposed to do the fine tuning it's self. How cool is that?
  3. plumbertom

plumbertom Active Member

Yes and it seems to be doing a good job of self tuning.
    Every time I ride it I can notice the difference between the stock tuner and the T-max.
    Very much a different bike than the one I was riding last week.
  4. lwedwards

lwedwards Active Member

After I installed mine it seems smoother at idle, not all the vibration as before. And as they say it does get better each time you ride.
  5. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Yer probaly going to have to ride about 500 miles for it to git a good tune.

Vary yer riding conditions too, so it can learn more.
    And sometimes run it hard so it can learn there too.

The Thundermax is a great unit.

Once you've owned one you feel spoiled.

It can adjust to the conditions you ride in with the Wide Band Sensors.
  6. motorcycle czar

motorcycle czar New Member

congrats on the install. The T-max is a pretty good unit. Keep in mind that the auto-tuning is air/fuel only, timing is user controlled. The air fuel ratio's on the maps are generally rich as well, so you may want to take a look at that if your milage doesn't work out to be what you would expect.

to further expand on what cardboard is saying, the auto-tune can only tune areas that it see's as well. So you have to make an effort to ride in various rpm ranges and various throttle positions to give the auto-map the best chance at developing the best fuel map for your bike.
  7. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

He is probaly not going to want to change the timin.
    Jackin with the timin can cause you problems.
    If he chose the correct cam for his bike when he chose a map the timing should be right.
    If not he can contact Zippers support and ask them which map he should use.
  8. motorcycle czar

fair enough.....I respect what you are saying.

I was only just trying to clear up an confusion regarding the tune provided by the auto-tune. The T-max auto-tune is more of an auto-afr tuner (not a true auto-tune). The T-max auto-tune only adjusts air/fuel ratio and it adjusts that on individual rpm maps based on throttle position. Each base map has different air/fuel settings and some of those are quite rich. I've seen maps that had the afr at cruise set to 13.5:1 and wide open throttle set to 12:1. I personally prefer leaner settings for both. I generally like my wide open throttle on carb bikes to be around 13.2-13.5:1 and cruise afr to be around 14.2-14.4:1. I'm currently running my T-max bike at 13.137 wide open and 14.179 cruise.

The timing and afr settings on most T-max maps are very conservative so that the average end user doesn't need to worry about too many details when installing a base map. These conservative settings do not provide the end user with the best possible tune, more like the safer of possible tunes.

In my experience, Zipper's generally only suggest changing base maps to folks that are experiencing problems with the system. They generally steer clear of suggesting any specific map setting changes when dealing with end users. This is probably due to the amount of effort required to explain to average users what to change, how to make the chnages, and why to make the chnages- then comes the barage of follow up questions that develop once a user makes changes. The T-max system is a great system, but to get the most out of the system the end user or tuner needs to have a basic understanding of tuning and needs to put the time in reading the manual to understand how the system works.

Honestly, adjusting timing is really not all that scary.

czar
  9. plumbertom

plumbertom Active Member

That's interesting. How about showing your map so I can compare it to where my auto tune has gone from the base map?
  10. motorcycle czar

ok, I'm not quite sure what you are asking (beyond the obvious I mean). There is no way to compare my map to yours to see what your auto-tune is doing. The auto-tune is only adjusting fuel only, so my fuel maps are going to be different than yours since I've got less cubic inches and a different throttle body (with different injectors). Comparing would make no sense, since my map is for an '02 88" Bagger.

You can compare yours to your base map though to see what is going on with your tune. You want to link to your bike and hit the monitor and view the maps in the Front Cylinder Fuel section.
  11. motorcycle czar

Here's an example of what the T-max auto-tune does. I recently changed my cams from stock to Andrews 26N's, so because of the switch my fuel requirements changed. This should give you an idea of what to look for to see what your auto-tune is doing for you:

This is a new feature on the latest T-max software:
    [​IMG]
    This will let you know how you are doing, as far as helping the auto-tune develop a fuel map dialed into your bike.

The auto-tune can only adjust for areas that it can take a reading on, and each RPM map has various throttle positions that need mapped. The blue markers were what the fuel map was with the stock cams, the green boxes were the offsets created by the auto-tune module after the cam switch:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ran out of image allowance on this post, so I will continue on another post.

hope this helps,
    Czar
  12. motorcycle czar

continued from the above:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all the auto-tuning that is documented above was done without a tach on a stock compression Road King, so there should be no excuses as to why this can't be done on better equipped bikes. :teeth: I was able to achieve this level of tune in about 200 miles but my previous fuel settings were pretty close. According to my log files, the rev limit was hit 7 times in this 4 day window. :)

hope you found this helpful,
    Czar
  13. motorcycle czar

I just saw that I may have violated the rules of this section by posting a long response. Admins- Please let me know if I need to trim my response down.

thanks,
    Czar
  14. plumbertom

plumbertom Active Member

You bet I'll make use of this information.
    I read through it and will go back over it while I have the reading from my bike to refer to.
    This is all a new area for me. My old Bike was a '66 FLH with a S&S Super E so I'm learning as I go.
    I've always felt you could never have too much information.