1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

intermittant noise in front cylinder . . .

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by joshbob, Oct 4, 2013.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Just when I think everything is going to be alright for awhile . . . :(. Yesterday about a quarter mile from home I hear this sound like the piston tapping a valve? Or? Let off on the throttle and it stopped. Pulling into the yard and it started again for a few seconds and stopped. Sounds like metal hitting metal in the front cylinder, up high. Motor runs okay most of the time.

Phoned Tattoo and he said check the (solid) lifters and make sure nothing came loose. I checked all of them and one of the front ones was only very slightly tight. Started the ol' sled up and the sound was still there after revving her up in neutral.

That's where things stand right now. Gotta love 'em.
  2. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Bummer...Just in time for the weekend...
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

You said that it increases and decreases with engine rpm? If that is the case I would be looking seriously hard that the rocker arms and valve train in general. Sorry to hear about the issue. :(
  4. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

well my boy hate to say it but running it a while back with no oil in the motor is coming back to haunt ya
  5. joshbob

Gosh, I forgot about that! That was about the stupidist thing I've ever done in my life. I cringed when you reminded me! But there was some oil in the motor - it wasn't completely dry. Well, I took the lifters out and discovered some more half- assed work done by my original "engine rebuilder" (remember Buster?) LOL. Anymore, it's getting to be expected. Some genius had actually ground down the tappets on one side and they all were half hydralic/half solid. :wtf:! And they did not move all that freely inside the base blocks. Blocks were scored and two of the tappets were on their way out - bearings shot. At the very least, these have to be replaced anyway . . .

We figured this was a good place to start, though we don't know for certain what's causing the noise yet. I will order a Sifton chrome lifter & pushrod assembly from J&P, which includes the base blocks, and since I have a gold card, my cost will only be $375 including shipping.

Problem is, no money till payday, October 14th. Tattoo is going to check his resources and maybe float me a loan to save a couple weeks waiting time. We have a biker shindig coming up on the 19th, and he would like to see me go with him and the rest of the boys.

We'll see . . . It's a bitch bein' poor - but poor, white AND ugly don't stand a chance these days . . .
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That sucks, maybe this winter ya ought to get a cord or two of wood
    and spend it in the shed tearing that sucker down to the bottom end....

Hopefully it's the last of the problems, the more I read this the more
    it makes me think the biggest problem with Shovelheads is the dickheads that did work on them half assed...
  7. joshbob

I agree. The shovels have been around longer and have had more time for mechanic wanna-bees to mess them up. Plus, the AMF days weren't all that illustrious either.
  8. joshbob

Now, if it turns out that after I put in all that new stuff and still have the noise . . . I suppose the next thing to look at would be the rocker arms. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced the problem lies in the valve train somewhere, like Johnny said.

The heads were recently rebuilt and have all new parts, so I'm thinking it's not likely to be valves or springs . . .
  9. JohnnyBiker

Does your issue sound anything like this?

10. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

I hear there's this guy up Minn. way just dyin to try out a new leakdown tester...LOL!
  11. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

At least give S&S parts a look see.
  12. joshbob

Yes, but it comes and goes . . . I will look into S&S . . .
  13. JohnnyBiker

This guy did another video and his rocker arms were super loose. Loose rocker arms are not a good thing. I am assuming that the rocker arms were shimmed properly? This video came from HTT.
  14. JohnnyBiker

JoshBob, here is another video of he same bike that shows how the rocker arm is moving.

15. JohnnyBiker

Same bike.....

16. JohnnyBiker

As you can tell from the video, the noise only started, so it seemed, when he was at the gate parked the first time to pay a toll. From that point on, the noise came and went, but it was mostly there. It didn't seem like he lost any power really, but that is deceiving. I hope this helps JoshBob.
  17. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Good work JB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  18. joshbob

Thanks, Johnny. Yes, I have the same symptoms. It could be the rocker arms also, but I must get the rest of the stuff first as I shitcanned my old blocks & tappets. As posted above, they were a mess and had to go. When I replace those (in a week or two), we'll see if things have improved. If not, then the next thing to look at would be the rocker arms. I expect I'll be replacing the entire valve train (except the valves & springs, which are new).

The only thing I don't like about the Sifton blocks is that they do not remotely resemble the original ones. They look squared off around the outside of the tappet holes instead of rounded like the OEM ones. Little by little, my shovel is beginning to be less and less like an original motor :(, but I guess I have to settle for what I can get at a reasonable price. And being Sifton, I'm sure the quality will be pretty good.

BTW, the videos you posted had some weird audio: the first one was about some Asian belly crap and the next one had commentary about somebody having cancer. Definitely not motorcycle related LOL. I couldn't even get the first video to come up . . . do I detect a virus in the cyber air?
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  19. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Do they make shims for that? Seems they should.
  20. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Josh I don't understand why you are waiting to check the rocker arms
    now that you have it down and you are waiting on parts you need to check it
    all at once, it might very well be the lifters, but heck it's not running so
    check the top end...