1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

jet needle choice

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by rickslr, Aug 18, 2013.

1. rickslr

rickslr Member

Hello I have been searching the forum and might have overlooked the answer to my question but I have a 2003 Dyna lowrider with screemin eagle mufflers the old style and screemin eagle air filter. I checked my jet needle it has a dynojet of some kind I have a 46 slow and stock main jet. which cvp jet needle would you recomend the velocity or n65?
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I typically recommend the Velocity needle over the N65. The N65C needle has been a staple among tuners and shops for almost 25 years but often needs to be adjusted through trial and error using shims. It can also be too rich in the mid range. The velocity needle however underwent some extensive road testing to come up with a fixed length needle that provides the optimal A/F mixture throughout it's movement and addresses both off-idle hesitation and mid range performance.

Another way to look at it is, the Velocity needle takes the desired characteristics of the N65C and other similar needles (NOKx range, N65x range, etc) and delivers ideal off-idle and intermediate mixtures so that the installer isn't tuning by trial and error (adding/subtracting shims).

Velocity Needle from CVP | N65C Needle

BTW, after the factory discontinued making the N65C needle CV Performance began manufacturing the identical needle profile for those who still prefer using this needle. Only difference is instead of making needles from hollow forms like the factory CVP machines each needle from billet aluminum.

Last comment, if moving up from a Dynojet kit it is recommended to switch the emulsion tube and main jet. The DJ kits used a special tube and jet to go with their adjustable needles, and many of those tubes will only accept DJ brand jets since they are threaded differently. You can use either an original factory emulsion tube of the one from CVP as both accept stock jets.
  3. rickslr

rickslr Member

I have not made an order yet I wanted to make sure I do have a dynojet after checking it is I wan't to change it. I was wondering if the hole being drilled would make a differance with the velocity needle and if I would need to go back to 190 main jet?
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Yes if you want to start upgrading parts or even return others to stock you'll need to lose the DJ emulsion tube and pick up either a stock one from H-D or the CVP version. Both will accept stock main jets, but you can't interchange DJ jets because they are different in many ways. I realize replacing the slide isn't cheap (around 40+ through J&P) I still recommend it. In the long run you'll be much happier than always trying to tune around a slide that moves inconsistently. The only workaround for a drilled slide is to use a stock heavier spring.

Regarding that main jet, a 190 or 195 is typically recommended for Twin Cam 88's. Again, make sure the jet is stock or CVP and not the DJ since sizing is not the same.