1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Jet sizes?

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by Peter S, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Peter S

Peter S New Member

Sportster 1200C 2005 with Peacemaker mufflers and SE air filter. Drives with the mufflers open 95% of the time.

Hi Ken,
    Have the stage 1 tuning kit and have the following issues:

The bike runs pretty well with the mixture screw 3 3/4 turns out. (with the mufflers open). Notice a sluggishness when cruising on 5th gear in 65 mph (slight surging). There is no leak in the manifold.

The sparkplugs are whitish (lean) whatever rpm´s I choose. I tried revs around 3000 and killed the engine = white, after a slow drive = white!

Questions: The jets that came with the kit, are their numbers comparable with HD original?

Should I put a shim on the needle?

Do you have any other ideas why the engine is tunning lean?

Regds Peter
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi Peter, 3-1/2 out on the EZ-Just is approx the max and you may need to move up a size on the pilot, given you don't have a vacuum leak. However this won't effect cruising speed.

Regarding plug color, modern fuel additives make it more difficult to read plugs without putting longer miles on them. The Tuners Kit you have from us, is this labeled for the pre-2004 1200, 04-06 1200, or a 883 to 1200 conversion? The proper needle for a 04-06 1200 will be different than the early 1200 or 883 conversion and be slightly leaner under cruising to compliment the flow of the XB heads found on those models.

Jet sizes - these coincide with the original sizes specified by the factory (Keihin) and will match original Harley parts. Note that some Harley dealers have been found to be selling some other aftermarket jets (imports) or even DynoJet jets which are very different. If buying main jets from your Harley dealer make sure they are the originals packaged in those white bags with the HD logo. CVP jets and Harley jets are interchangeable.

Also, open pipes are always a challenge. Factory pipes are designed to work with and match mufflers that are baffled at least minimally. An open or unbaffled muffler does not allow the head pipes to scavenge gasses or resist reversion correctly. I recommend if not baffled to at least install some sort of anti-reversion device in the muffler. Google "motorcycle muffler lollipops" for an idea of how this is accomplished.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=mot...iDeSJiALkj4G4BA&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1287&bih=646
  3. Peter S

Peter S New Member

Thank you Ken,

The Peacemakers have a valve that probably gives a little resistance. I have to rely on the manufacturer that they are tested for their purpose.

Re the kit I bought I don´t have the package but I trust that what you sent me was intended for my bike.

Re Needle. Do you suggest I should go back to the original needle to get a richer mixture when criusing?

Re Spark plugs and fuel: Nobody knows what is mixed with the fuel nowadays! I fill 98 with max. 5% ethanol. The 95 have 10% ethanol. Anyway - I checked the cars plugs and they are beautiful brownish so I guess the Sportster runs lean.

Peter
  4. kenfuzed

Ah Ethanol, that explains a little bit. I just realized you are in Sweden. Avoid the 10% E fuel if you can and stick with the 98/5. Regarding the exhaust I can't emphasis enough how important it is to have fresh flange gaskets after installing or reinstalling pipes. I rarely recommend shimming but in your case you could add a VERY thin shim 0.033" - 0.045" (thats in inches) under the needle head.

Note to others reading this thread, do not shim a CVP needle on a U.S. model Harley.
  5. Peter S

Peter S New Member

Hi Ken
    Unfortunately all fuel we have available have at least 5% ethanol. 98/5 is what I´m using.
    The exhaust is not leaking. Only the mufflers are changed but... there is no connection between these mufflers. The crosspipe is plugged (is a separate unit - not as the old type) and have no function anymore.
    I´ll try a shim and a larger low speed jet.
    By the way - what´s the difference between the US and the European engines since you don´t recommend shimming the US type?
    With a handshake
    Peter
  6. kenfuzed

Hi Peter, the exhaust leak I'm referring to is at the heads since those gaskets can get tweaked or moved slightly even when installing mufflers.

The differences between US and European models is slight but are typically the original needle and the ignitions. The biggest difference is with the use of ethanol fuels. The greater the amount of Ethanol the more the air/fuel mixture needs to be increased. I don't recommend ever running E10 or higher ratio ethanol fuel on a carbureted Harley as this will slowly destroy the seals and diaphragms which are not designed to withstand ethanol contact.
  7. Peter S

Peter S New Member

Thank you Ken,
    Am not using the 10% ethanol fuel. Seems it is only akylate petrol and avgas aviation fuel are without the alcolhol- hard to get and too high prized. Will try a bigger jet and a shim.
    Peter