1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Jetting help needed

Discussion in 'CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit' started by 98lowrider, Aug 18, 2014.

1. 98lowrider

98lowrider Active Member

delete
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Take a look at the slide diaphragm. I just fixed an issue that was exactly like you are describing. It ended up being a small hole in the rubber diaphragm.
  3. JohnnyBiker

I guess we will have to take your word for it that the diaphragm is good. Stop buying parts and the start looking elsewhere. Any fuel filters? Vacuum operated fuel valves?
  4. JohnnyBiker

Here is a better question. When you get to the point that it starts to act up, does it feel like the clutch is slipping but there is no rpm increase or winding up?
  5. JohnnyBiker

It does this in all gears?
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

is the needle adjustable?

If so drop the needle one step so it's further
    into the main jet as the slide comes up, it's
    sounding like you're getting reversion from the
    exhaust and cam setup, or, too much fuel and the
    bike is bogging. You need to go leaner as you go farther
    up the RPM band to an extent, you want the fuel curve
    to lean out a bit,

If the needle isn't adjustable, take out any shims under it,
    if no shims and no adjustment, then drop the main jet
    down to a 170.
  7. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I don't know that this is necessarily kit related based on what you've described. Especially since you say this happened both before with the Dynojet kit and now with our CVP kit. Based on your setup I recommend a #185 main but make sure you are not battling a vacuum leak first.

Check that the needle jet nozzle is installed and/or installed right side up. The engine will fall on its face if not correct.
    http://www.cv-performance.com/harley-cv-carburetor-tuning-issues/
    Also check the simple stuff... Gas cap vent stuck, plugged fuel valve screen, vac leak at the VOES, air passages clogged in carb, and don't forget the number 1 cause of all carb problems - vacuum leaks.
  8. JohnnyBiker

I find it curious that you make no mention of any kind of coughing or popping during all of these jet changes. Observe the jet nozzle as Kenfused directs and go from there.

Jmo, but this is beginning to sound like a non-fuel issue.
  9. JohnnyBiker

Deceleration pop usually means too lean
  10. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

The stock ignition modules have built in rev limiters set near 5500 rpm.
    The slide could be the problem, filling hole with JB weld and re-drilling doesn't necessarily make it good as new. Before you get mad at CVP try a new slide they come with a new diaphragm, Or try ebay for a new or different CV carb, often you can get takeoffs for a reasonable price. Then you have a carb for parts, CV's are one the best all around carburetors out there.
    Having used the CVP kit in several different sizes and models of Harley engines with great success I'd say the problem is probably operator malfunction. JMO
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  11. JohnnyBiker

One thing he hasn't mentioned is if he even looked at the accelerator pump to make sure the diaphragm in there is good.
  12. JohnnyBiker

Cool
  13. JohnnyBiker

I agree with HarleysLR. JB Weld is not a good fix. $40 for a new slide. At this point, what for have to lose?
  14. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Maybe it wasn't the carb to start with, check your local Craigslist for a carb. They really are pretty bullet proof,
  15. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I've rebuilt several and know that there are several factors that can cause this. Even the rubber boot to the carb and manifold is very important to fit correctly because of air leaks. However JB weld is a shade tree mechanic fix. If this is a bike your going to keep you'll want to fix it correctly so you don't have other issues down the road.
  16. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I have a little stash of carb parts here is what I'm willing to let go of,
    1. stock cv 40 slide NO rubber diaphragm. pic attached
    2. 1 complete CV carb with a dyno jet kit in it, I ran this for a couple of months then I bought a complete carb from Ken @ CV Performance. It hasn't been used for about 8 or 9 years. If I remember right it worked ok.
    Kens carbs are top shelf stuff polished and all. I'm running one on my stroker 103".
    If your interested send me a private message, I'm leaving town for the weekend tomorrow morning and will be home on Monday.
    I looked on ebay and there isn't much, you can get a new rubber diaphragm for about $15.00. I didn't like the dynojet stuff and didn't want to change it all back to stock so I got a different carb. If nothing else this is a good parts carb. I'll throw in a Turblator for the throat of the intake manifold.

Attached Files:

17. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Good eye, I just checked it, 1/8" that slide came out of a used bike I bought back on 01, it was a 1996 softail,
  18. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

I had good luck with my CVP parts, bike (04 1200 Sportster), runs much smoother after getting the Dynojet crap out. I did replace my slide as the old one was drilled. I would think JB weld would throw off the overall weight of the slide a bit, making it not perform as expected. Also check (replace) the intake manifold gaskets, and be sure to tighten the collars evenly as they are tapered and will leak if not careful. Use some lube (vaseline) to make sure all fits well.
    HarleysLR likes this.
  19. JohnnyBiker

Clean your existing plugs as well as you can monitor it from there. If it is coughing off idle it is in your pilot circuit. Drop down to a 44 pilot. Almost three turns out? Sounds a bit far to me.jmo
  20. JohnnyBiker

Indication that the pilot is still too big.