1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Kind of a bike...

Discussion in 'Projects' started by MSHax, Dec 3, 2012.

1. MSHax

MSHax New Member

Ok so if you've read my recent office chair project, improperly posted in the "Pull up a chair and sit a spell" section, then you know that I don't sleep at night and start doing random crap, if you didn't read that, then well...I guess I just told you. This project started off life as a couple of garage sale damaged scooters, a honda helix, and a aprilia mojito to be exact. What do you get when you cross a Honda Helix with a blown engine with a Aprilia Mojito with a damaged frame? A Super Helix..jito..ped..thingy. :p
    [​IMG]

Sadly, I normally don't start thinking about the documentation of an item until I'm almost done, this was no exception, there are big gaps in the build, but here's what I have. (actually there are about 200 pix, but here are a few of what I have).

This little beast can run 54mph, gets 92+mpg, and has enough torque to pull me (210lbs), a bike trailer, and both of my sons (45lbs and 40lbs). Of course it's top speed was never tested with my 2 kids in a bike trailer, I wouldn't go over 20 for safety reasons, but with a friend sitting on the trailer (she was 110lbs) I easily got it up to 50, and let me say that was SCARY as all get out.

So in the beginning there was a Honda Helix, a fun little scooter with a giant frame and loads of toys like comfy seat, and an interesting suspension. But when it looks like this does, and doesn't run, well...why not chop it up?
    [​IMG]

SO...let's get that frame out of there..
    [​IMG]

What a cool looking frame right? and the front forks look like a backwards "springer" style, so I was thinking I HAVE to play with those some how. Here's the start of the fuel tank (yup, a fire extinguisher, they're thick, and can hold a decent amount of liquid.) There's a little gap here, but this is the frame after being shortened and with the Aprilia 50cc welded to the rear.
    [​IMG]

Gotta support that frame from my extra weight, and the fact that I'll be standing right near the neck. Here is some of my awesome welding (I admit, i'm not a good welder, but I can grind with the best of them.)
    [​IMG]

See...good grinding huh? :p
    [​IMG]

Time to fill in that floor and some body panels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now let's get some shape into that rear tail.
    [​IMG]

Fake flower foam is great as a fiberglass mold since it's cheap and easy to shape.
    [​IMG]

I went budget on this so I actually used resin coated felt instead of actual fiberglass. For this build I didn't need anything flawless or super strong so some cheap orange was perfect for the part. Here I've wrapped the panel and am thinking of trunk ideas.
    [​IMG]

Is that REALLY my work area? How can I work in such mess? Actually I had to move a bunch of crap out of my garage to get a golf cart project in there so the scooter got kicked to the messy back yard.
    [​IMG]

Kind of a skip ahead here as well. I fitted a modified 1992 CBR 600 front fender to the front to prevent splash, here I'm building the front fairing that will soon house the speakers and hide electronics like the horn and wiring. You'll also see that the fiberglass floor board and rear tail have been painted and have skateboard grip tape to keep me from flying off. I wrapped it with tape so that the fiberglass would form to the frame exactly.
    [​IMG]

I then wrapped it and added some wood rings to be the frame for the speaker system.
    [​IMG]

Here's it all dry and cut for my speakers.
    [​IMG]

At this angle you can see how my "trunk" turned out and what it's starting to look like. I added a 1/4" of foam and vinyl wrapped my trunk lid to act as a seat if needed. You can also see the LED rear blinkers, I have a shot of the tail light coming up in a second.
    [​IMG]

And here it is with the front fairing painted and ready for it's coat of red, you can also see the tail light (harbor freight LED trailer light)
    [​IMG]

At this point someone offered to buy it and offered me more than I ever thought it could sell for, so..I sold it. They say everyone has a price, and when you're rolling up to a gas station and a guy says "I have to have it" well...let's just say my price made me walk home and VERY happy to do it.
  2. MSHax

MSHax New Member

I can't seem to find any pictures of the front fairing that covered the handle bars. I shaped if off of a 03 GSXR but I didn't like using it so I rarely put it on, if you look closely you can see a couple gold brackets sticking off of the handle bar controls, that's where my bar fairing connected.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

cool project! and sounds like it made ya money!
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well ya still got all the other one's parts right?

So you take that other engine and make a
    killer go kart.....
  5. MSHax

MSHax New Member

Nah, the helix (frame donor) had a blown engine. They're not worth fixing. I tossed it with the body panels. But I have thought about doing a gy6 (common scooter engine) go cart build but I think I'd rather pick up a couple quads for my boys to ride. That way they can ride them to school and take them to the beach or even the snow.
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Nice Scooter,good job:cool:....Did ya fill the tank before he bought it:D
  7. MSHax

MSHax New Member

LOL! I did actually! Gas prices were high then so it was about $1.80 to fill the 1/2 gallon tank. :p
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

that would be cool to have way out here where we live , good job on the build :D
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Very nice would like to have something like that when I go camping.:)
  10. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Cool scooter! I think the guy who bought it is going to have a hard time getting it registered LOL.