1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

L.E.D. Daymaker style headlight suggestions wanted

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by snydley, Jul 5, 2016.

1. snydley

snydley Active Member

I bought a 2008 FXD last year and am just now starting to ride it some at night, the stock Harley headlight is crap! I've been searching the Net for L.E.D. headlights and have found a great assortment, anywhere from $83. to >$250. On Amazon I found some cheaper ones by Sunpie, by Wisamic, as well as more expensive ones by Eagle, and Kuryakyn , and others. Like everyone, I'm looking for a good deal. I don't want to buy crap, but I also don't want to spend $500. I'm hoping some of you guys will chime in on some that you've bought, recommend what is good, and what to stay away from.
    I live in rural western NY state, we have our share, and probably a share of yours, deer, and it's just dangerous to ride at night with a 5.75" headlight and stock halogen bulb!
    Any suggestions you guys can give are greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks,
    Snyde
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

JW speaker makes the daymaker LED

I have one on my RG and it's a major improvement over
    stock in fact it blows HID away.

I believe if you buy it from JW Speaker it has a longer
    warranty than HD.
  3. snydley

snydley Active Member

Thanks for the reply. Did you buy the fixed or the adaptive headlamp, black or chrome bezel? I like these lights and I'm thinking about a fixed lamp with a black bezel, since my bike is black, unless the lamp is brighter with the chrome bezel.
    I'm not sure if the adaptive lamp is gonna be better, I think I would rather have all the LEDs on all the time.
  4. hotroadking

Fixed and black...

THe adaptive wasn't out when I got mine, and in
    hard corners the light drops (angles) so I hit the high
    to fill in the gap,

Standard bulbs do shoot light up, LEDs are wide and flat
    by design so you light up more of the side and road not trees
    consequently in a hard corner the light leans with the bike
    leaving a dark area, you notice it more with led's because they
    put out so much more light.

I like the idea of the adaptive for corners

The difference in the LED to Halogen is the difference
    in using a 1200 lumen flashlight and a candle...
  5. snydley

snydley Active Member

I saw 2 prices, on the adaptive lights, one over $500., and one over $700. That's quite a bit too rich for my blood! I'm looking at maybe a light by Eagle Lites https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Lights...01EB0AFX6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
    This one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E8B98W2?psc=1
    Or possibly this one https://www.amazon.com/Wisamic-Projection-Daymaker-Headlight-Motorcycles/dp/B01DZU30S0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=416A6FSR7fL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=MR8YX3NZQX2T3S6HXRJM
    It looks like I've got a lot more research to do before I "pull the trigger"!
    I don't know that much about them, and there are so many choices! I do know I've got to do something though! I had 2 "encounters" with deer the other night, and had they jumped out in front of me a little later than they did somebody would have been picking up a mass of twisted metal and flesh from the road!! That's something I don't want a repeat of!
    Thanks again,
    Snyde
  6. hotroadking

Call my buddy Phil at 785 243 9991 see what he can do for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk