1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Larger Tank For An 883?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by BIKER883, Sep 9, 2004.

1. BIKER883

BIKER883 New Member

Has anyone ever installed a larger tank on an 883 like a 4.0 gallon tank? thanks :D
  2. ironhead

ironhead New Member

yes you can!!

there are a lot of differant tanks you can install....you can even put the tanks from softails on...you have to relocate your coil and ignition switch....there are kits available from most aftermarket catalogs for doing this...i installed 5 gallon fat-bobs on a 77 sportster....it looked good and wsn't really a big deal to do....any other questions or if you need to know where to get the stuff to make it happen,let me know :D
  3. usahellas

usahellas New Member

anything is possible

Now I see offers for so called "fat bob" tanks all the time. I guess you are trying for longer trips between stops. I tend to enjoy having a smaller tank. It allows me / forces me to stretch my legs more often. During a normal week of just going to work and back it is a pain but on a long haul I find it rather nice to "have to stop" every 130 miles get gas and stretch. :p Now please do not get me wrong but I still like the look of the stock tank on a sporty. Bigger tanks tend to more or less hide the engine.

That is however only my opinion. You know what they say about opinions, they are like a**ho*les everyone has one and they all stink. Do what you want and get what you like. Yes, you can get larger tanks on them. If you want. Ask CD he might have something for you. :eek:
  4. BIKER883

BIKER883 New Member

Yep if you ever Ride an 883 from the black hills to Georgia you know why i need the larger tank. from rapid city to any major town going east your limited.

:D
  5. PVCHOPPERS

PVCHOPPERS New Member

Anything is possible...

The Sportster is the perfect bike to modify...You can change just about everything from wheel to wheel. Starting with the tank, you can get a 3.7 or a 4.1 with a 2 inch stretch. It's called a "porkster" and comes with all the necessary hardware and relocated kits (coil and ignition switch) I have done this to at least 6 different bikes!! Good Luck with your project!