1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Linkert/cv conversion

Discussion in 'Projects' started by chucktx, Nov 19, 2008.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

my 65 panhead still has the original linkert carb on it. i have rebuilt it about 4 times over its lifespan....not bad for a 44 year old carb.....the throttle plate shaft is loose within the body, sucks air and doesnt run correctly. i recieved a carb in the mail today......thanks a bunch ken, you are a stand up guy!!!!!

i thought i would do a how to/project. the linkert has a 4 bolt mount, the cv has a slip on mount. to my knowledge there are no adapters. i am going to attempt to build an adapter in my shop.....wish me luck!!!!!!!!:)

Attached Files:

2. chucktx

the linkert is a massive carb. and solid brass!!! they are beautiful when cleaned and polished. i will probably clean and polish and display on a shelf in the shop....

Attached Files:

3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Chuck I have a spare set of the newer style slip on's (one bolt hole & one slip /open bolt ) if you think it will help let me know both set's I have are 03 FLHT should be just like your 06 model ,The EFI system I just got had them as well as the set on my glide , I do like the look's of the linkert carb but if anyone can update to a CV you can
  4. chucktx

i would love to see them....either a pic or send them....if i cant i will send them back.....and reimburse ya.........:)
  5. cowboy

I'll try real hard to get them off to ya this weekend :cool:
  6. chucktx

i left two pics out....this is how the linkert mounts to the intake.....four bolts.........and notice the intake is T shaped, no smooth transition into the heads.....another reason that pans are not favored for building excess power......to much turbulence getting around those corners!!!:)

Attached Files:

7. cowboy

look at your 06 intake & see if it will interchange , even with some mod's as I have a spare one as well , or you can weld a piece of pipe or simler to one or the other & adapt the two togerher
  8. chucktx

that may work as well.........just need to put an eyeball on em to do some measuring and fitting...........:)
  9. cowboy

I'll put the intake & flanges in a box & get them off to ya on Monday (i hope) :D
  10. chucktx

thanks!!!!!!!!:)
  11. chucktx

recieved the cv in the mail......and comparing the two, the linkert is a full 1 1/4inch longer than the cv. before i start fabbing i will wait to see what arrives from cowboy....i may be able to save a lot of steps if his box has what i need......the guys willing to help another out on this board is simply amazing!!!!!!! this board has to have the best contributers around!!!!!! a big thanks to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Attached Files:

12. cowboy

Chuck the box went out today via snall mail she said two to three days :rolleyes:
  13. chucktx

that is great...thanks. i will let ya know when it gets here!!!:)
  14. chucktx

i bet y'all think i forgot about this project.....well, i had some intakes sent to me and i did a lot of measuring,studying, and fitting.....all said and done, this is what i came up with. i feel it will be the easiest for fitment and still give drivability....i will make a plate the same deminsions as the gasket you see on the left...weld the pipe to it, and use the "o-ring" from the cv carb. i will fabricate a support for the carb. i will also powder coat the new intake......and the project marches on!!!!

Attached Files:

15. chucktx

had a lilttle time this weekend to do some more fabbin....i took a piece of flat steel, cut a 1 1/2 inch hole in it....then i used the gasket to mark the mounting holes and drilled them. i cut the flat plate to size. i ran out of argon so i had to revert back to old school flame welding and a coat hanger!
    pans are famous for intake leaks, due to the o/ring seals at the heads. the moco sells a tool to test intakes. i built one many years ago and it works good. i tested my weld with this tool....had one leak to repair. after the leak test was finished i took my new manifold to a table belt sander and made sure the sealing side of the plate was flat. i then blasted the manifold and powder coated it.......i also premounted the carb and manifold to check clearances......my pre measuring was right on!!!!!!! i love it when a plan comes together....lol:D :D
    some pics..
  16. chucktx

lets try the pics one more time!!!

Attached Files:

17. chucktx

site will only let me load 2 pics max at a time?????????

Attached Files:

18. chucktx

two more...

Attached Files:

19. chucktx

last two........

Attached Files:

20. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Nice work ChuckTX,