1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Memphis Shades Windshield

Discussion in 'Projects' started by HarleysLR, Feb 27, 2010.

1. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Just finished installing one of the new Memphis Shades fairing windshields on the wife’s 02 Fatboy. Install was pretty straightforward, 2nd one would be easier. Relocated the front turn signals using the little brackets that are used to mount the signal light to the clutch side of Fatboys and probably other handle bar mounted turn signals. There is no inner faring side, going to make a little bracket to mount a windshield bag to. Took a couple of hours including removing the old windshield and hardware and talk time to my nephew when he called. Will try to get some matching pin stripping put on it when it warms up a bit.

Attached Files:

2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Nice, looks good and Memphis Shades makes some good shields.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

that looks great!!! like where ya put the turn lights. lot of room behind the head light for a nice bag. thanks for sharing this!!!!!!!
  4. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Good lookin job - Been thinkin about getting a cut windshield for mine but the options are few for my year of bike. They carry them but the selection is limited. It's something I'm gonna check into after I get back from my road trip in May.
  5. FLHTbiker

Sarge7, you can cut them down yourself. Real easy to do.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

but if you cut it too short it's really hard to fix it... without cash..
  7. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Ya I thought about doin that - but the shield that is on there now has hairline cracks around the mounting holes and I think that replacing the whole thing would be the best way to go.
    Was gonna do it this spring but the road trip is going to be a must do thing first and the money is going to short for awhile after I get back.
    OL wants me to add New Orleans to the trip and meet me there in the cage, so there goes the extra cash I had laid back for improvement packages - I'm still trying to talk her out of that idea.:banghead:
  8. FLHTbiker

Well even if it has some cracks you could still probably shave it down a bit which might help you on your trip. Mine had a few scratches in it but I still cut it lower versus buying a new one and it helped it a lot. Have fun on the trip, never been to New Orleans but sounds like it would be fun to.
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Look's real good Also like the way you put the T signals but the grassin the back ground in your sig pic is green & the other pic like it the gress is white:D
  10. chucktx

good eye cowboy!!!!!!!!!! lol
  11. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Today some of the white melted and turned brownish with a little green in spots. :D Hopefully in another month or so it'll all start tuning green again.
  12. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Whats the best tool to use when cutting? - I've cut boat windshields with a Makita 3 1/2 saw and it melted the lexan instead of cutting it. Had to use a pair of pliers and a file to make it right and I don't care to go thru that again; it was a real bitch getting it smooth. :confused:
  13. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I use a variable speed jigsaw with a very fine tooth metal cutting blade, then I sand the edge with fine sandpaper and top it off with a good steel wool rubbing and your done, Be sure to put blue tape on the side you will be running the saw on and don’t let your sand paper mar the sides of the windshield. I have cut 6 or 7 windshields that way and now I just make my own from lexan that I buy at plastic depot. I usually charge $60.00 to cut one, it takes about an hour or so.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  14. FLHTbiker

I use a rotary saw with a blade designed for plastics. I draw with chalk a line that I'm going to cut then use either the blue tap or plain ol masking tap on both sides. I use a flat file to file down the top then go to a very fine file. After that I use sand paper to finish it off. You need to be very careful about the edges when using a file and especially sand paper. You can finish it down to a very smooth edge. I also like to round the top edge off so their are no sharp edges.
  15. chucktx

all good info!!!!!
  16. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Thanks all - I priced out a new one and will stiil go ahead later this summer and get it; but I will give the old a trim job as soon as the weather breaks. I've got a busch jigsaw that should do the trick. :)
  17. FLHTbiker

Yep that will probably work good luck with it.
  18. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Once you’ve done it you’ll wonder why it took you so long to do it. Piece of cake.
  19. Welder

Welder New Member

Hey Sarge,

An easy way to get a real smooth edge on the windsgield is to heat the edge with a flame from a torch. Makes a super smooth edge on the plastic, but you gotta be very careful or you will kill it. Used this trick alot on this stuff, but you have to be careful. This may not be something you want to try on a good one until you get the hang of it.:D
  20. chucktx

hehehehe.....if ya not careful ya could end up with a windshield that looks like candle drippins!!!!!!!!!! lol