1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

michilen commander tires

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by m1a5h50, Mar 28, 2017.

1. m1a5h50

m1a5h50 Active Member

well on a return trip from my grammas herb garden i got stuck in a rain storm. i have new tires Michelin commanders. very impressive they felt really good on the rain slick hi way and the wind gusts a few times. have 3k on the tire. wow the diff between those dunlops and these i will never buy a dunlop for my bike no matter watt hd sezs. these tires really gripped when wet and when it it dry omg they grab the corners. grab, grip don't slip dunno what else to say about tires other then my opinion the ****ers are the bomb
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Good tires, the new Dunlop tires on the newer bikes are a lot like the Michelin tires, better grip, rounded for better handling, the old d402's wore well but handled like crap...
    Fatboy128 and charlie46 like this.
  3. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Hey m1a5h50, what bike do you ride? Curious as to how those Mich's would be on my Road King.

And are you a tank driver? Your handle would seem to say ya are. Nice to have the M1A5 on our side, for sure.
  4. m1a5h50

m1a5h50 Active Member

never got 10k outta dunlops 30 years riding them
  5. m1a5h50

m1a5h50 Active Member

6 yr prior USMC early 70's. i have a 12 flhtc. best hd i ever had finally did this one on a budget and got the best results. have progressive suspension through out. mono tubes in front forks. there is minimal dive have s/s braided brake lines stock hd brakes calipers and softer pads. great stopping power. stabilizer link on motor to frame or back wards. even thou it's a 12 and the new frame the stabilizer was an awesome investment ever. no flexing or twisting a hi speed 90 mph and in the turns this thing can be handled like a 125 dirt bike. SOLID. and 944 ultras in the back those are like riding on air good air. then the motor have the paper work this is with baffles, 103 ci 102 hp 116#s torque.it is a beast! like i said this is one nice ride runs on premium fuel always. will run on reg doesn't not knock or ping on hot days after a ride. that higher octane (93? ) does make a diff
    Red Rider likes this.
  6. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I got 17 thou out of my stock rear Dunlop on my 2015 Limited. I thought that was pretty good. My new one is a Michelin Commander II. Rides nice. It feels like it has a softer sidewall by the way it rides smoother. I like it an I'm going to get a Michelin for the front soon.

Neither tire is going to be any good in the dirt though.
  7. m1a5h50

m1a5h50 Active Member

hi mike here i believe the michelins are dual compound dunno 'bout new dunlops. 17k outta rear tire. wow hey lil fyi that was preached to me always install 2 new tires at a time. was old the difference is worth it. did it the 1st time after the preachin and never looked back. not telling you what to do it'll cost more but my oh my really different with 2 new tires. enjoy the ride.
  8. quietone

quietone Active Member

Started running the michelin commanders on the fxr and the wideglide year and a half ago, just before leaving for sturgis last year put one on the back of the road glide also. Have nothing but good to say about them. Great in the rain, handle very nicely on wet or dry pavement. Sometime this season the road glide will more than likely get a new one on the front also. Seem to wear very well and are also better priced
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Tomflhrci98 and Red Rider like this.
  9. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I do two tires at once every other time. Rear tire wears twice as fast. That has been my "rule", but if I switch to the Mich's I'll do it.

Do they make 'em in wide white? Nevermind, I'll check the 'net m'self....good to hear folks pleased with a product - keep it coming. Tired of all that negative crud.....just tell me the good stuff, at least today!
  10. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

My bike is going in for 2 Dunlope American Ellite tires + that goo that balances them internally for $506. 17800 miles on old tires.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk
    Fatboy128 likes this.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Both are good tires, the Dunlop American Elites are the non "HD" branded version of the tire and according to the Dunlop people it wears even better than the DUnlop HD tire, the side cupping is reduced in the soft portion on the American Elite, and it costs less....
    Fatboy128 likes this.
  12. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Put them on my Fatboy. I'm extremely pleased with them. Handling, wear, wet and dry grip. Put Dyna beads in to balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk