1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Minnesota Scenic Road Tour

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 29, 2015.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, Hot Rider, my dad and I are on the third day of our road trip. We are taking a scenic roads of Minnesota tour and so far it hasn't disappointed. For the two days we have gone we have nearly 600 miles. Just taking our time. Today we are looking at about another 200 miles which will take us to a place called International Falls MN which is right by the Canadian border. However before we leave, I need to stop off at a dealer and rejet my carb. Other than that, no hitches.:cool:
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  2. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Too bad its not fuel injected, you could just tune it with your Ipad....LOL!
    Was going to ask how your dad's biking was going the other day on your EFI thread, but didn't as I was not sure if it was a touchy subject as you did not mention much about it lately, good to hear you guys are still riding.
    Any pics yet?
  3. JohnnyBiker

He's doing well. Thanks for asking. Yeah EFI would be nice in this situation but it's coming. No pictures. The photographer is being lazy.:mad:
  4. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Hows the weather been for ya's?
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I've never had to rejet a carbbike on a trip, even coming from flat
    lands at sea level up into the Appalachian mountains.
  6. JohnnyBiker

Weather has been pretty good. No storms as of yet.
  7. JohnnyBiker

Sorry for the lack of pictures but as I said, the photographer went on vacation so I will give you some road numbers that we took that were nice.

The start of the scenic trip basically started right when we left home. The road that I was after though was MN 16. We hooked on to MN 16 in a town called Dexter. We were headed east towards LaCrosse but once we got to U.S. 14, we went north staying on the MInnesota side. U.S. 14 runs with MN 61 with U.S. 14 splitting to the west, but MN 61 continues all the way up to Canada following closely to the state border.

The first night, we stayed in a town called Winona MN which wasn't that far from where we hooked onto 61/14 north. I would have to say that our hotel was very nice. Once we all settled in there, naturally we were hungry so we went to a Green Mill that was just across t g e parking lot and connected to another hotel. This place SUCKED! Not sure if I will EVER go another Green Mill.

After we ate (and filled up with beer), well, we were still thirsty. We found a liquor store, bought some more beer, sat in the back of the hotel where the only picnic table was a drank until about midnight.

Just a relaxing day. Great weather, GREAT COMPANY, and of course grat riding. Riding Talley for the day=290 miles.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  8. badinfluence63

Purposefully taking non interstate roads?
  9. JohnnyBiker

Yes. Interstates are good to save time but we are not on schedule so we figured why rush?
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  10. JohnnyBiker

The second day we continued north on MN 61 until we came to the town on where we hung a right and headed north on Washington County RD 21. This was a pretty nice road and taking us through Stillwater where we got into a bit of parade riding mode. Lots of festivities going on. Washington 21 was curvy but a little slow going. This Road would be great for a fall colors ride.

21 turns into MN 95 which brought us to Taylor's Falls. We stopped there for some food. After we ate we continued north on 95 which led us to I35 which we had to ride to take us to MN 23 EAST. I just like that road, I have been on it a lot, but this time there was a detour that took us down a wet gravel road because of a detour. MN 23 took us to Duluth and that is where we camped it for the second night.

Second day trip Talley= 260
  11. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good time.
  12. badinfluence63

Better touring on back roads for sure
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  13. JohnnyBiker

During our ride on the 2nd day I noticed I didn't have any passing power. The bike was pinging. The temps were warm and believe it or not, we were riding in temperatures that I haven't ridden in since I did the 98" kit. Last year I installed an oil temp gauge and jetted the bike down for my trip to Ashland. (Cold weather). So while in Duluth I made the decision that I need to uptick the jetting to help get rid of the pinging. There is an HD dealership in Duluth and decided to call them the next day.

Day 3 starts. We had to wait until 9 a.m. for the dealership to open. I called them and they didn't have any jets but referred me to a place in Superior WI. They didn't have what I needed either. At this point, I felt I had no choice but to ride home and rejet. Not being 100% sure anymore what jets were changed in October, I upticked the pilot one, then up two on the main and called it a day, slept in my own bed. About 215 miles for the day.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  14. hotroadking

That plus ethanol in fuel doesn't help loaded bike two up
    Hot temps
  15. JohnnyBiker

Yes, and the elevation changes didn't help either.

I would put the cruise on but then come to a hill and the bike would just start to drag. I didn't like that at all. I was getting 43mpg.
  16. JohnnyBiker

Day 4 starts and we are heading north for the day. We took a rout that I have been on most if it before but my dad hasn't. We took some familiar roads to MN 25 north to U.S, 169 north. 169 north was mainly a 4 lane until we started to get to the south, southwest side of a really large lake called Lake Millacs. We followed 169 n until we came to a popular place called the Blue Goose Tavern. The Blue Goose usually seems to be the destination of choice for the MInnesota Meet and Greets for members of HARLEY TECH TALK. I have never been able to attend one but I hear they are usually pretty fun.

After eating at the Blue Goose, we headed north again on U.S. 169 and followed that to the town we are staying in called Grand Rapids Minnesota. We hunkered down in the hotel for the day and just chilled, went to a movie and planned for day 5 riding events.

We also decided to stay here at this Hotel for one more night as we there is supposed to be some really nice riding in this area.
  17. JohnnyBiker

The bike is doing well. I did have to add a quart of oil after I hit the 1000 mile mark. Not a big deal. Gas mileage is less than what I prefer but I have no choice but to live with it now. I dropped off to 34 mpg. When I get home I will put the pilot where it was and drop the main down one to a 215.

This is my first real experience of relying so heavily on a map for directions while on a bike trip. I have to say that it is more work than if I had say an HD Zumo 660 or 665 and using the ride planner feature. It could be that my dad wants to do all of the map work, but his memory isn't what it used to be so it takes him three times as long.

Day 4 total= 221 miles.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  18. hotroadking

We usually take an Ipad, map it out the night before,
    and use the GPS, that way we can jump off roads onto
    ones that look interesting or take detours and the GPS
    still will work us to the final destination
  19. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like the bike was just running to lean and on those hot days it will even run leaner. I've had that even with EFI on trips. I do carry a small bottle of stuff I buy at the dealership called Liquid HP and put some in on those days, it really helped. The gas we have now is junk compared to years back when premium was the real premium.
  20. hotroadking

I ran a tank of 110 octane rac'n fuel through my bike last month

1) smells better, racing fuel
    2) never knocked
    3) ran WAY cooler
    4) no corn squeezin additives
    5) got 5 more MPG on that tank

then again it's $9 a gallon so it's not economically smart,
    but it was fun...