1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

My project

Discussion in 'Projects' started by DB66, May 17, 2013.

1. DB66

DB66 New Member

Showing my age...my first bike was an old K Model, then a 61 sportster, then a 56 panhead. Several Japanese bikes (ugh). But now 35+ years later I have retired and bought a 1988 Electra Glide Classic 85th Anniversary series #600 out of 850 produced that year. I had the idea to rebuild it and customize...you know...make myself feel young again. I tried but could not force myself to change much. It's completely stock except for a few small decoration pieces. My question asking for advice>>>Should I keep this bike all origional for posterity reasons? Some have said it might be valuable some day. I could by another basket project for fun. Honest opinions appreciated...thanks 033.jpg
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

My opinion is leave it stock. Someday it will be worth a lot but probably not to your benefit but your grand kids
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Nice!:cool:I like the colors...If the engine gets tired....rebuild with stock parts,or recondition the stock parts...I wouldn't customize it at all and keep it as original as you can...Original is what goes up in value...A K&N stock replacement filter and reroute the case breather from the air cleaner is all I'd do...
  4. DB66

DB66 New Member

I think you're right on the money...thanx
  5. DB66

DB66 New Member

Thanks for the boost...I agree...thanx
  6. Lucifer

An old FXR would be a fun project bike...if it's not all OE... lol ....If you can find a SE breather kit for the bagger...I'd do that and maybe switch carbs to the CV,but hang on to the stock breather and manifold if you did...
  7. DB66

DB66 New Member

I already took your advise for the case breather and am ordering a K&N replacement air filter...I considered buying a CV carb but I dropped my old Kiehin off at the Local Harley dealership for a rebuild yesterday. I put a hi-flow accelerator pump on it and am going the next size up on the jets. It should get down the road pretty good then....I've had this bike less than a year...my last Harley was 35/40 years ago. A lot has changed since then. A quick blast down the highway is better than any xanax any day. I've got my eye on an 70 something Shovelhead that's been stored in a barn for the last few years. Everything is supposed to be there...haven't seen it yet but the guy wants $2000...seems like a good price to me.
  8. Lucifer

$2000 worth a look for sure....heh, yeah they sure changed in the last 40... lol...just ask cardboard:D:devil:EFI,TBW,GPS, Blue toof TMax Eye Fone....and Red Neck Budweiser...:cheers:
  9. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's a good price for the shovel. Is the Keihin you have the old butterfly style? I'm suprised a Harley dealership would even take a look at it.

Though I really love bobbers, I agree with the other guys that you might want to keep it stock. It will be worth more as time goes by, and there aren't many on the road today, either.

Lucifer, at least the Budweiser hasn't changed in the last 40 years!
  10. Lucifer

Yeah,and I flattened quite a few of 'em yesterday too:D
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Nice bike. I would keep it stock, some would either build the motor or put a bigger motor and can never be satisfied with it. Like others have said air filter plus reroute the breather tubes is all I would do.
  12. DB66

DB66 New Member

Well everyone seems to agree...I need a CV carb or anything else but the butterfly Kiehin...thanks for the input...that will be my next purchase. The dealership near here didn't hesitate to rebuild the butterfly...I always did everything myself when I was a much younger rider, now I can't crawl around on my knees or see into tight dark spaces anymore. I still plan to (safely) slide sideways into my grave in a cloud of dust and gravel while I,m still breathing and grinning. Rubber side down!!! Always...
  13. joshbob

I started out with a butterfly Keihin (Kiehin?) and after several tries at rebuilding, went with a used CV carb and rebuilt that with a CV Performance kit (look at far left of screen near the top) and it has been great.
    The main problem with my old butterfly carb was that the butterfly shaft & bushings were so worn, they created a vacuum leak. It was the one part I was unable to repair.

I like your attitude about riding - much like mine :cool:.
  14. DB66

DB66 New Member

It's a country boy thing...play hard, play safe, nobody hurt...I gotta a feeling that I will be doing the same thing with my Kiehin eventually. In actuality I didn't have much of a problem with it until I started messing with it...go figure... I'll see how it goes when I put it back on Friday. I like the bobber style also...:chopper:
  15. DB66

DB66 New Member

Well I got my new rebuilt Kiehin on and running. The tech at the dealership siad they had a hard time getting the float needle valve to seat...and they weren't lying. It runs exceptionally well now especially after I installed the high floe accelerator pump...but I will have to remember to turn of the petcock otherwise gas may (or may not?) slowly leak out of the bowl vent. I can live with that until I can find a good rebuildable CV. I don't know why but I lost the left side lid off my saddle bag today...I tried to retrack my self...I figured it wouldn't too far from the house...I'll buy a used one and repaint them both...I guess...Are there different types of CV's other than for different models? Thanks
  16. Lucifer

Good to hear it's running good...ya gotta turn off the petcock with gravity feed anyway...CV's too...don't wanna leave a float valve the only thing between washing down the cyls or not....
  17. joshbob

Yup, always turn off the petcock whenever you shut the motor down.
  18. DB66

DB66 New Member

Thanks...I'm giving it the test tomorrow. Gonna ride up to Bloomfield, MO. to the Veterans Cemetery where my dad is buried. they are having a program for Memorial Day. There is always several Bike Clubs there as honor guards. They line up in an arc around the Pavilion in full colors, all holding a Flag. There had to be 75 last year. Most are Vets. It is way too cool to see. It was a solemn occasion, everybody seems to have a good time and no problems. That's always good. I'll have to repeat, "TURN OFF PETCOCK" a thousand times on the way up there so I'll remember to do it when I do get there. There is nothing worse than having about 75 bikers looking at you like your an idiot just because your poured 4 gallons of gas on the curb where the bikes are parked. Ha Ha...better wear my running shoes just in case. Rubber Side Down...Always
  19. Lucifer

Have a good day!!What would be worse than 4 gallons on the ground would be a small puddle on the ground and your engine case full of gas and cyls washed down....gas doesn't lube or cool very well;)
    Turning the petcock off will become habit with you....1st 2 years I've been riding this EFI bike I still reach down sometimes to turn off the petcock:rolleyes: There is none on EFI;)
    If/when you do forget to turn it off,pull the dip stick and smell the oil,if it smells like gas,change the oil right away...
  20. DB66

DB66 New Member

Man I appreciate all the good advise. (from everybody)! I'm not as lame as I sound unless of course you ask my wife. It has decided to rain so Ill drive today...:gah: There is always tomorrow. I think I'll change the oil later today just in case. I bought everything I need the other day anyway. Have a good Memorial Day. If you are a Veteran...thanks for your service...If you are a Marine Veteran...Semper Fi...That goes to all...Salute.