1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

My project

Discussion in 'Projects' started by chucktx, Jan 10, 2008.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

well it seems lots of folks have a project going on, so i thought i would jump on the band wagon......
  2. chucktx

first pic is getting ready to remove the tank
    2nd is draining tank of fuel...the brass gauge is a vacuum pump attached to the petcock...to allow the fuel to flow without the engine running
    3rd ya got to have a standby when the main ride is down....:D
    5th is a pic of the fuel filler....this will be opened up before it goes back on
    6th is a pic of the petcock with screen installed. the small port in the back is where the vaccum line attaches and the brass nipple is the line to the carb. this nipple pulled out when i removed the line. i used jb weld and put it back together....should stay now.....oh ya, im going to attempt to put a little paint on the tins.....wish me luck!!!!!! lol

Attached Files:

3. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Good luck with the paint Chuck. Lookin forward to see what ya come up with. As usual I'm sure it will look great.

Did a little project on my saddle bags, got yid of the saggy bags. Wife got me the inserts from "Got Saggy Bags" for Christmas. Here's a few before and after pic's. Installation was a breeze. Haven't put the inserts in the lids yet, to cold in Michigan right now for the glue to set.

Attached Files:

4. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Oh ya...almost forgot, glad to see someone else with an appreciaton for fishtail exhaust. I put the V&H true duals on mine.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

look's like chuck is at it again :cool: chuck did you valve brake? or why did you need the JB weld ? & do you have any idea of what your paint scheme will be ?
    are eather one of you running stright fish tail's , A buddy of mine has thee on his 95 in RK, with just the cones , I don't care for the sound , I have a sey in the garage , but have not wanted to put them on because of his , but I also have the big city thunder bafles , i just might just give my combo a try
  6. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

do the bones take up much space in the bags?
  7. chucktx

cowboy, the pan has straight fishtails....with the homemade baffle in it....doesnt sound bad. the 06 has a muffer/fishtail...it also sounds good,,,to me:)
  8. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Hey Cowboy...Some of the older model fistails had a narrow opening at the exhaust tip. This would result in a raspy sounding exhaust note. Some of the old schoolers would use the narrow fishtails to create back pressure on straight pipes. I chose the V&H for a few reasons. First they have the widest opening of any fishtail on the market, so the sound is great. The mufflers came with the V&H power chamber 12" baffles. I took them out and put the BCT baffles. The pipes were way to loud with just the BCT's in and there was to much reverberation on throttle down. I put the power chamber baffles back in and then put the BCT's in. The pipes sound awesome, nice deep note at idle and cruising speeds, and a big bark when you crack the throttle.

The second reason I went with the V&H was for the styling. Really liked the profile of the fishtail tip. And most important, changing over to true duals made a big improvement in performance. I was running Samson short slashers before changing over to the true duals.
  9. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

You loose absolutely no space in the bag after installation. The ABS inserts wrap around the entire inside perimeter of the bag. They fit right against the leather like a skin and are the same width as the bag. I'll take a couple pic's of the inside and post them.
  10. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Chuck...what fishtail muffler are ya runnin on the 06'?
  11. chucktx

i got them from jp cycles.....paucho built. #441-310 in the new catalog.
  12. chucktx

one other thing on the mufflers.....i listen to my stereo....so the pipes arent real loud, unless i twist the wick....:)
  13. chucktx

when i was pulling the gas line off the nipple, it pulled out of the petcock....so it was jb weld time!!! :)
  14. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Hey Chuck....good idea startin a projects section on the forum.:cool:
  15. chucktx

hopefully it will help all who visit here. with a seperate area, maybe the hijackin of the thread will not be so bad. it will be easer for folks to come in and see what is going on and hopefully get some tips to help themselves. also we can comment on the projects and help the person preforming the project. kinda like having a "jokes" section.....all that is there is jokes....hopefully this will work..:)
  16. chucktx

sanded and primed and base coated the tank black....no pic, everyone knows what a black tank looks like!!!! :)
  17. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

ringo , I run the V&H true dules up front , the BCT baffles then some SE slip ons thart gutted have a real good sound I have had a lot of rifer tell me thay like the sound , I just havent gotten used to the look of the slip ons to round , i have a set of strarght fish tails I was going to try to here the sound , I also have a set of ovels that sound good , I like the ovel look & the fish tail look , but looks ain't every thing
  18. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Reading over this again and got to wondering. Why? What is the benefit of opening up the fuel filler?

And man I have seen what you can do, tain't no need to wish you luck on painting tins. The luck needs to be wished to the other folks that ride around with you to keep from looking so out done. I can't wait to see that paint.
  19. chucktx

in another thread the theme is spilling fuel on your tank. since the first time i filled my bike, the opening is to small to see how much fuel is in the tank with the filler nozzle inserted, hence the overfill and splashing out. i am going to make the hole bigger so i can see the fuel, and stop the overfilling problem. it is like on cars, epa/gore have made the fillerneck very small and will only accept one way of filling. no funnels, older style gas cans, ect.....it will also allow me to direct the flow away from the tunnel to prevent splashing.....
  20. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Well ByGolly, sounds like a dang fine plan. Feel kinda stupid I didn't see the reason on my own but thanks for the heads up man.