1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

My Shovel project

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Ultra Al, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

This is an ongoing project. I have owned the bike since 1981. It was showing it's age, not quite a rat bike, but getting there. Then one day the comp ufire electronic ignition module I had installed took a dump and left me stranded. One of the very few times this bike has ever been on a trailer. I decided to go back to points and rewire it. While I was at it I rpainted it. The top part is a mixture of candy root beer and candy red. The bottom is an off whie with very little gold pearl. I wanted it to look traditional so I didn't put a lot of artwork on it, no skulls or flames but shoot I had to do a little somthin' so I did the oil hoses using SEM sure coat. You can twist those hoses every which way but not crack the paint, cool stuff. I also made the tank divider (which I see was crooked when I took the pic, natch). I discovered that leather is not the easiest thing to pin stripe. At present I just got done installing a new starter drive bendiex gear and and a new solinoid. I have a glitch in the wiring I have to trace down and maybe a manifold leak to fix to get it running smoother. I've done a bunch of other stuff and have some more yet to do. The rear glass bags aren't on yet either because I discovered a roofing nail in the rear tire that has been in there God only knows how long so Ill be replacing the tire. Cant wait to ride it again. In the mean time there are my other two bikes that keep me in the wind when I ought to be working. What the hell we only get so much time, I plan to spend the best part of mine riding. AL

Attached Files:

2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Good looking bike! Thanks for sharing!!!
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

very nice al......the white seat loooks cool, but i couldnt keep one clean!!! is that the same bike in your avatar?? i like the paint, and your pinstripping is great.....thanks for the pics.:)
  4. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Just like Chuck's Pan...that is one kicka$$ looking bike Al.
  5. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

Chuck, the one in the avitar is the highly modified fatboy with marbalizxed flames.
    Thanks for looking guys The ol' shovel has a lot of sentimental value, a monument to me and the OL's miss spent youth, (my only regret is we didn't miss spend more of it, LOL) Al

Attached Files:

6. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

All I can say is WOW AL. That is one SWEET project.

Congrats on still having your monument, and surviving that youth allocation. Can't call it miss spent man, I am sure the memories are worth more than any savings fund you could have put together in the same length of time. You extended youth guys really give me something to look foward to. Hope I survive long enough to do the same for some other noob comin up. Thanks for sharing.
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

look's good Al , here latley i've been half ass lookin for another shovel , I have found one or two almost worth the asking price ,, that's one bike I miss is my old shovel put many a mile on it through the years , & now i see your's & after I get my knee fixed & some of the hony do stuff some what caught caught up I 'll start looking real hard for one
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Great looking bike....would be a fun project. :)