1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Need advice

Discussion in 'Projects' started by FLHTbiker, Apr 9, 2009.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Working on my old El Camino and need to wet sand the door and then polish it out. Had some areas that I filled and did some tough up paint. What sand paper grit do you use and what are the steps to complete. Could use any help-advice, never done this before and don't want to screw it up.
  2. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

I use 600 grit wet/dry and wash it down between coats. Usually have about 3 to 5 coats of primer before I shoot it with the base coat. Are you planning on a clear coat on top or just doing spot painting?
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i am going to assume that the door is final coated. it would be good to know how many mils the clearcoat is. or how many coats. i am going to assume 2 coats. you will need a stream of clean water, 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper, 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper..a bucket of water with a few drops of liquid soap in it....i use dawn dishsoap. the soapy water will help keep the paper from building up. cut the sandpaper in half then fold into thirds. soak half the paper in the bucket for 5 minutes or so, this will let the paper soften a bit and let the soap penetrate. run a low stream of water over the area you want to sand, dipping the paper in the bucket often. be careful not to sand through the clear, especially on edges, corners, and curves. do the same with the 2000 grit. if you have a slow buffer with a sponge pad, use some 3m polishing compound. i use the "perfectit2" by 3m. do small areas at a time. about 1ft areas. if it is a dark color you may need to use a "hand polish compound" also by 3m. i have used mcguires scratch x with good success also. do not use a buffer with these products. they are designed to remove very light scratches and swirl marks. stand back, admire your wonderful job, comb your hair in the shine and smile!!!!
    if ya have any question, just ask!!!!! you can do this!!
  4. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

And don't forget to cut the metal end off the garden hose so you don't accidentally scratch the car. I made that mistake once and never forgot it.

Let's see some pics o' that old Camino

:worthless: