1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Need carb help...

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by Ben Medley, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Ben Medley

Ben Medley New Member

I have a 2004 road king with a stage 1 tuner kit from cv performance.It has a 190(stock) main jet and a 48 pilot jet.I recently put S&S 510 gear drive cams in it,true dual exhaust and it has a high flow K&N air cleaner.Since doing this upgrade it runs like crap.At full throttle it sputters out and even has died on me.Seems like it is starved for fuel.Checked for intake leaks-none present.No exhaust leaks either.Can anyone give me some pointers as to what to do? Change pilot ,main or both jets?Thanks,Ben.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if it runs ok at idle and off idle with no poping, leave the pilot jet alone......step up one size at a time on the main. only do one thing at a time, then check.....
  3. Ben Medley

Ben Medley New Member

then check what? all of the reply didn't show up on my page.Thanks,Ben
  4. chucktx

after you step the jet up one, take it out and run it, get it to operating temp. check to see if it is running ok............
  5. Ben Medley

Ben Medley New Member

What about putting a different ignition module on such as a Screamin'Eagle or Crane etc.??
  6. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

better to work on one thing at a time, I'd get the carb problem figured out first.
    I have a SE ignition module on mine, I installed it when the bike was new, I did the same cams you have with 20,000 miles on the bike. haven't had any trouble with either, now have 58,000 plus miles.
  7. chucktx

agree, one step at a time. the harley ign. is plenty strong enough for the changes you have made. get the carb handled, then move on...........