1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Need helg on getting Best bang for my buck

Discussion in 'Projects' started by groadking, Mar 22, 2010.

1. groadking

groadking New Member

Need help on getting Best bang for my buck

Hello everyone,
    Im looking for info on upgrading my bike would like to know what i should do to get the most for the least LOL

I have 2005 FLHR Roadking it only thing it has so far is rhinehart true dual pipes and the breather up grade stage 1? bike is carb. and it has had ben rejetted but don't think it is correct jetting, fuel mileage sucks was getting about 29 to 31 mpg (that is riding 2 up) and i opened up the mixture screw some and it came up to 36 mpg. have talked to several mech and get different opinion on what to do.... any where from 2000 to 5000 worth of work. any help suggestions would be great

thanks
    Glynn
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. steveb

steveb Active Member

What are you asking them to do for $2,000-$5,000.?
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

agree, what are you looking for???? what is your riding style, weight load, pull a trailer, hot rod and run the twisties at full throttle, race, lots to consider..............
  4. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

I think he is sayin he's lookin to do 2-5k of work, first thing is you have an 88" on your 05( I feel your pain ) their not great on mpg riding 2-up to begin with! Believe it or not the true duals aren't helping either - harder to tune up!
    Are we talkin 2-5k in parts and can you do some engine work yourself or is a mech required?
  5. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Re: Need help on getting Best bang for my buck

Since you do 2-up riding, "the only substitute for cubic inches is cubic money" & big torque is more important for that type bike / riding than big HP, I'd think your 1st choice would be to increase the engine size to 95" or perhaps 103". Personally I'd have the heads professionally worked, but not ported / polished as is done for top-end HP, just cleaned up & the ports / combustion chambers matched for volumetric efficiency.

Then you'd want to choose a MILD cam setup that fits the engine size, head work done & most importantly, the type of riding you normally do. What cam setup works for others may not be good for you @ all, so consider where, when & how you ride over everything else.

You should be able to stay well on the low end of your budget & end up with a dependable bike with the torque you need for 2-up riding, loaded saddlebags, etc. & that's a joy to ride.
  6. 59panhead

59panhead New Member

Re: Need help on getting Best bang for my buck

I sure would love to get $5000 to rejet and tune a Carb! I guess my Regular price of $3995 isnt the going rate anymore!

But seriously do you want a big HorsePower jump or do you just need the thing tuned for better milage?
    If you want power Dont go to a Harley Dealer ! Look @ this website! Give them a call !

Hyperformance.com or LQQK up King of Cubes! Read Randys website He can get you less bang and more horse power for your money