1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Need Help With Fuel Leak

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by beckssportster883, Nov 6, 2010.

1. beckssportster883

beckssportster883 New Member

I have a 04 Sportster 883. During a poker run today, I realized that while parked at a stop, fuel was coming out of the overflow tube. When I shut the petcock off it stopped. If I opened the petcock and plugged the overflow hose, it would back up and flow out of the carburetor. I didn't know if possibly the float was stuck or if something else could cause this situation. I see the listings for the CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit but didn't know if this would help me with my issue. Any advice I can get would be greatly appreciated. I am a new Harley owner and learning as I go.
  2. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

You probably have a piece of debris in the inlet valve. Try running the engine with the petcock off until the float bowl is empty, then open the petcock. It might flush the crap outta the needle & seat. Worked for me once.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

float is stuck. try the above. if that doesnt work remove the bowl and clean the valve. a simple repair....just follow the factory manual........
  4. whacker

whacker Active Member

If you don't have a "in line" fuel filter ...you might want to get one...would help keep the debri from getting to your carb...
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

tap the bowl with a screwdriver handle. Might loosen up the float if it's stuck,
    otherwise, turn off fuel, remove air filter, remove bowl, drain and clean up

Also if this has happened it's a good chance that you have flooded the engine cases
    with gas where gas should not be.

Drain the oil and change it and the filter as well, if the bike was on it's side stand
    the gas will drain down the intake and past the valves into the cly, wash the walls
    and dilute the oil.

Just change it out once you fix the float to be sure...
    newsteve1 likes this.
  6. chucktx

good advise
  7. beckssportster883

beckssportster883 New Member

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna swing by the Harley dealer and get a gasket kit and pull it apart this weekend. I am also going to install an inline filter. I would have thought that the inline filter was a factory installed part, guess not.

Again, thank you.
  8. chucktx

there is a screen in the tank....you get to it by removing the petcock and it will come out. some times they develop a hole and allow larger particles to pass.......they are replaceable and inexpensive. some bikes almost dont have room for an inline filter, that is why one should service the in tank filter at regular intervals........as the service manual recommends..............
  9. hotroadking

yeah I would skip the inline and check the fuel petcock filter, get a new one for it...
  10. newsteve1

newsteve1 New Member

I know this post is old, but I have the same issue.

Bought a 97 1200 used. It was overflowing when I turned it off (after test drive).

I bought the CV Performance kit (it's just generally sluggish).

Cleaned Carb. Installed new jets (45+180 because it has intake + straight pipes).

Installed new float needle and then adjusted/tested on a bench at 15 degrees.

Assembled it and took it for test ride. Success!! But...

Then as I continued to adjust the mixture (and I think I need a smaller main jet) I was sitting at stop sign.

When it stalled, it felt like I had forgotten to open the petcock... That's when I saw the GIANT puddle of gas coming out the overflow.

I was just in there. I used carb cleaner to blast the float needle seat "area" and also fuel inlet.

I HAVE an inline fuel filter, But still, I can only imagine this is the result of a stuck float?

IDEAS?!?!?
  11. hotroadking

Stuck float
    newsteve1 likes this.
  12. newsteve1

newsteve1 New Member

Just tear it down and inspect?

Carb cleaner?

Replace fuel filter?

Stuff like that?
  13. hotroadking