1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Needing cam for 80 in. Evo

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by David thomas, Oct 3, 2015.

1. David thomas

David thomas Member

Just had a carb jet kit put in from cvp. Bike still spitting back at take off a little and at high speeds 80 or better . Mechanic said the stock cam would do so at high speed .that I needed a cam. If so what would be the best bottom end to mid range cam. I have 180 and 45 jets in carb. A k&n air filter and baffles out of pipes no other mods.98 flHTC have checked for exhaust leaks and installed new plugs
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

A good set of slip on mufflers would help out better than no baffles. Andrews EV13 or Crane 300 are good bagger bolt in cams.
    A bad accelerator pump diaphragm could give you spits on take off,check that for pin holes or cracks and a good squirt from the nozzle when you twist the grip.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Cam isn't the problem. Put the baffles back in and see how it does

Ev27 is a good cam
  4. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

sounds like a lean condition. a cam in my opinion is not the root of the issue. can you feel a slight surge on light accel or cruising speed as in a little lean, possible intake leak and how did the old plugs look? The adjustment for the pilot is well shown on cvp website. Is it somewhere in the 2 turn area? How many miles on bike?
  5. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Put the baffles back in it will run better make more power stop spitting and find a new wrench! He obviously does not know shat about harley tunning ev 21 or 27 will work great woods 6 bolt in Will also fit the bill and advance the pick up 2 deg .it will run like a champ.oh and find a new wrench!
    Lucifer likes this.
  6. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Did I mention you need to find a new wrench!
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree the guy either
    A) is trying to sell you a cam job
    B) doesn't know jack shit about HD

No wrench worth his salt would try and fix a tuning issue with a cam change unless the cam was the problem, it aint
  8. Lucifer

:hilarious:
  9. Lucifer

My vote is ...All of the above....