1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Negative battery terminal melted

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by lmplain, Jul 28, 2011.

1. lmplain

lmplain New Member

This afternoon I went to start my bike and after a few short seconds the bike died. After inspecting, I found that my negative ground melted right off the post of the battery. What just happened?
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

It melted.....:wtf::D
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

nice johnny,,,,:rolleyes:

there are a couple of reasons for this.....loose connection, corroded connection. also check the ground wire at the frame/engine. they need to be bright and shiney. a weak battery will also cause this. let us know how it goes!!! welcome to the forum....
  4. lmplain

lmplain New Member

Just wanted to keep everyone informed with what the results were about the negative battery terminal.

Long story short.. the ground that connects to the frame was not metal to metal. It was metal to paint with 2 small scuff marks that had corrosion. I sanded off paint using a dremel tool and reconnected. Problem solved. Also, we discovered that the ignition had a short in it which was the reason why after it started it would quit when the RPM's got higher than idle. I replaced ignition with a 3 wire Harley ignition. At the same time we replaced the 30 amp relay because there was a concern that it was sticking.

All in all, it was pain in the butt however I am back on the road and everything seems to be in working order except for the speedo. Still have to look into that. I'm leaning towards it getting fried because of the ground issue.

Thanks for everyones help
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

No speedo is easy

If you are passing everyone, you are going too fast
    if everyone is passing you, you are going too slow...
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

+1 :)
  7. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

My 2006 Dragoon did the same thing 2 years ago. First the Negative Battery Cable came off and shut down the bike. I tightened it down and rode off however my Speedo no longer worked. Had to get a new Speedo. Recently my bike had the same problem so I removed the Battery and the negative post was melted. I will try your solution and hope it works too.