1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

"Never use WD-40 on your Harley, ever "

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jturuk, Jan 21, 2008.

1. jturuk

jturuk New Member

I saw this quote on a winter storage article posted here but the author didn't elaborate. I was curious as to why?

John
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

not sure on the authors reasoning, but wd40 attracts dirt and dust like a magnet. it is a great water dispersment tool, but not good for lubricating purposes.....:)
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

chuck's right on this , if you have to ues wd40 as lube just clean it up good
  4. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

pretty good stuff. handy cleaner. all around useful. never had a problem using it on anything:D
  5. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

I find it useful for cleaning/removing old adheisive and other gunk the gets on the bike. Stuff like goof-off is very harsh and I only use it when necessary. WD is a dust collector you just have to clean up good after yourself.:)
  6. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

how about Break-Free

guys ever try this stuff. one of the best moves the military ever made
  7. chucktx

i like breakfree....it does help losen rusted fastners.....dont know about the dust attractant tho..........actually i have a shelf full of penetrating oils.....they all do the job, just depends on which one i grab.!! wd is my last choice tho..............:)
  8. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

WD40 is a good gunk and grime remover for the clutch cable through a pressure luber, then I put on a can of TriLube to lube the cable and displace the WD40. For the 2006 Dyna and 2007 and newer bikes with the plastic covered inner cable the TriLube works quite well. You aren't supposed to lube the cables with any petroleum product because it will eat the plastic lining on the cable. But TriLube doesn't eat the cables and keeps them working like new. Learned this from a Master Tech instructor at one of the factory schools. Haven't had a complaint from my customers useing this method.
  9. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

I dont care much for WD no matter the use. Of all the different penetrating oils I've tried over the years, only PB Blaster and Balistol stand out from the rest in my mind. They both stink like hell tho !! :)
  10. chucktx

oh man, the aroma from balistoil is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not!!! keeps the o'lady out of the shop tho!!!!!!!!:roflmao:
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The only good thing about WD-40 is the smell. :D
    The best penetrating oil that I have ever used is Howe's multi-purpose oil. Mac Tools carried it for years.
  12. fujimo

fujimo New Member

fujimo

rode bikes for years,,, in wet country here,, so i use wd 40 in nov till end of feb,,, just to keep rust off,,, does not hurt anything,,, my 2003 has 70,000 on it ,,,never had any rust,, been across U.S and back several times ,,,all of canada ,some mexico,,,,
  13. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

WD40 is a penetrating solvent and not a good one at that, It will gauld up the metal on pistols and if you use it on locks you might think they work good for now, but it penetrates into the metal and makes it wear faster.
    If you want a Penetrating solvent git one. If you want a lubricant use something like Tri Flow Spray.

YouTube - Montgomery Gentry - Hell Yeah
  14. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

I don't use WD40 for much either. Although it does make a nice air freshener. I have PB Blaster which works pretty well. I never tried Balistol. I have several cans of AeroKroil which works great. I'm not sure where you can buy it. I get it from work.
  15. FLH59

FLH59 New Member

I used to think it was good stuff but it turned my 45 brown.
  16. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

WD40 has been known to cause automatic weapons to gauld and jam. I will not use WD40 in a weapon. I will use Breakcleaner or Breakfree. Then I come back with TriFlow Spray or remington Rem lube or something like that.
  17. FLHTbiker

I would never use WD-40 on any bike. It simply attracts to much dirt. Yea its cheap to buy but there are to many other better lubricants out there. I used to use it on my door Jams in the house but then noticed the dirt building up and the doors were getting harder to open. :mad: I have a old can OE it anyone want it.
  18. fujimo

fujimo New Member

fujimo

sounds to me ,,,its i am too tired to clean wd off my bike,,,, i did not say i used it for lub,,, but look at my bike with 70,000 plus on it and look at other with less,,, if you think it is hard to clean wd off ,,,you should ride thru a swarm of mormon crickets,,,, oh you have to leave state to do that
  19. FLHTbiker

No not to tired to clean WD-40 off my bike cause I don't use it for that purpose. As for Crickets well I guess swarms off grasshoppers can count. :D
  20. fujimo

fujimo New Member

fujimo

not even close,,,,crickets 2 inches plus long,,,, road will be completely covered,,, canot see the pavement,,,, for miles,,, slick as grease,,, piles up in fender wells inch thick,,, only bigger bug i ever got hit by was in florida,,, cut my cheek couple inches long,,, saw stars