1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New Buddy

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by charlie46, Nov 10, 2018.

1. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, 'been looking at a new carry buddy. Ruger LC9s. Any comments or info ?
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Ruger makes quality firearms in the USA at reasonable prices: I own 3 different Rugers.
    Since the weapon is not likely going to be a regular shooter, (as in, you'd likely just shoot enough to be proficient, not thousands of rounds a year), it should serve you well. There are some unique things about the LC9s that you may want to consider, such as the "disassembly" magazine. There is also some difference between the LC9s and the LC9s Pro, just as a head's up.
    You probably already know that the original LC9 is hammer-fired, whereas the LC9s is striker-fired for improved performance.
    Nice weapon, can certainly do what it is designed for.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Sig P365, similar size, comes with a 10 round and 12 round mag
    Its 9mm

Hottest carry pistol on the market, nothing wrong with Ruger
    and normally I'd suggest a G43 glock, but if you can
    find one in your gun store get the Sig P365

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/firearms/pistols/p365/
  4. charlie46

heavelley leaning toward the ruger EC9s. Made for what I need,up close deffence.
  5. hotroadking

you can't go wrong with it
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I handled the P365 super nice to handle, very comfortable but extremely scarce up here. My carry that I am extremely accurate with is the Glock 26. I love it.
  7. hotroadking

G26 is a good carry
  8. Red Rider

Anybody but Charlie & me see the price differences? If you can pull it, aim it, and pull the trigger and it shoots, ya got a good weapon. No small barrel handgun is going to be amazingly accurate beyond the range it was designed for, 1 - 12 yards, so pay for a name if you want, but the real test is can you shoot someone who needs shooting? I am all for paying bigger money if you are shooting 20 yards or more, heck, I'm good to 150 with my .357, but concealed carry weapons are short-barreled, and there is only so much that needs to be done at close range. Derringers have taken out a lot of people, but they aren't much for range competition.

Home defense: shotgun with bird shot.

Concealed carry: whatever you can pull quick and hit a 3'x 2' target at 2 yds or less. Nice to have more than 2 rounds, but 2 can be enough.

If you're planning on being a hero in a big shootout, then you want a longer barrelled weapon that is gonna be a lot bulkier. If so, spend the big bucks. I still like the .40 over the 9mm, but admit the improved ammo has made the difference far less significant. Buy or make great ammo, and there is no real gap. Just make sure you've practiced with it, as the cheap FMJ stuff that I and most others practice with don't shoot the same.

I carried the 1911 .45 ACP, an HK USP .40 S&W, and the M9 9mm during my many years in the military, and preferred the HK, but it really isn't a concealed carry weapon year-round. I know my SOF buds switched from the .40 to doublestacked .45s, but I still love the .40.

The Ruger would certainly suffice, and exceed the goal, for its intended purpose. Good luck, Charlie!
    charlie46 likes this.
  9. Red Rider

Yeah, that's yer Li'l Buddy there, alright! Now, find a place where you can safely practice quick draw from different positions that simulate real-world scenarios,(sitting - chair or car seat, standing, laying on belly and on back, and on both sides). Practice like you were knocked down, and practice right & left handed. You'll likely never need to use it; but if you do, it won't likely be against someone standing in front of you at a pistol range;)!
  10. charlie46

Santa's here early for O.L. New Buddy for OL.
  11. charlie46

New Buddy for O.L., from Santa

Attached Files:

12. hotroadking

nice roscoe
  13. charlie46

It's the 10th aniversary edition,was just announced and FGE already had it. OL loves it. Will probably payoff in the booodwah. heh heh
  14. hotroadking

well be careful in the booodwah, you'll shoot yer eye out!
    Red Rider likes this.
  15. charlie46

Something will go off,that's for sure
    Red Rider likes this.
  16. hotroadking

well ya hope so....