1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New Floorboards & Foot Controls

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Wideglide85, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

Ok, so I got a set of Custom Chrome floorboards & mounts for a FLST to put on my Wideglide. I thought the brake pedal was in the wrong place - on top of my foot - which I thought would be really awkward to hit the brakes in an emergency. So rather than spend $150 bucks on an extended pedal, I modified the one that came in the kit. I cut it apart with a grinder, found a piece of 1/4" x 1-1/4 steel in a scrap bin, had a buddy TIG weld it back together, ground the welds smooth, and powdercoated it semi-gloss black along with the rest of the chrome mounts. I have a round rubber pedal pad and half-moon floorboards on the way, for the "old school" look. I might mill some slots in the pedal to up the cool factor, but I think it looks and works fine as it is.
    The pedal doesn't interfere with my foot on the board, and it's WAY easier to hit the brakes now. Just thought I'd share...

Attached Files:

2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

That's some dandy work there, Wideglide85! Curious to know how you have the shifting side of your floorboards set up. Can you use your heel on the floorboard as a pivot point to help you shift easier? I am having trouble shifting my 4 speed ratchet top with the footpeg set up on mine. I have stock Harley forward controls. It's a long throw between gears and I have to lift my leg and foot off the peg to shift. Sucks!
  3. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

Yeah, it shifts nice. I took the heel shifter off and made a spacer to fill the gap. There's plenty of adjustment in the shift rod, or you can rotate the shifter on the splines to get the pedal where you want it. This pic doesn't show the final version, I'll see if I can get a better one when I get home this weekend.

Attached Files:

4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

lookin good!!!!!!!
  5. joshbob

Yeah, it does look good! I have since resolved my shifting issues with some help and adjustments. Might not have to go with floorboards, after all. But continue to post pics and updates on your scooter!
  6. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

:wtf:
  7. joshbob

Daggone spammer again, Charlie. Found another one yesterday on another thread.