1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

New type tuner

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by cowboy, Nov 7, 2008.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

2. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

seems a little while back i read a small article about this, in fact seems to me it was talked about on this forum, but not sure. in any event nothing was said negative about it:devil:
  3. cowboy

I don't remember anything on here about them . but thats not saying much :D , I watched the video & he say's no need for a dyno tune to run these , Yes I know everyone is trying to sell there snake oil , This thing has a light system that let's you know your in range (3 different 0nes)
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Anyone remember the old Clayton Dyno that was used for tune ups in many shops. Years and I mean years ago I installed and serviced them. Many of the community colleges had them.
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Those old water break dynos? Yeah I have fond memories of the one we had in our autoshop class. Buddy and I after building up his dads Galaxy burned up that dyno one day and left it for dead. Man was that shop teacher pissed!

Ahhh, good times. Sorry, what were we talking about??? Oh yeah, tuners :D
  6. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

They are a copy of the tuners Doebeck performance sells.
    Doebeck has been selling the Techlusion for a while.

Doebeck performance also sells the unit made by ARlen Ness called the Big Shot.
    They will git you by but that's it.
  7. ratripower

ratripower New Member

Back in December, I too was looking for a tuner for my 08 ultra. I saw the reps at the Novi bike show and went over their products. For the mods that I wanted to do, this unit covers it. (mufflers, air cleaner) They say it takes about an hour to do but it took me a little over 2 hrs. Directions were clear. The only hard part is getting you hand under the fuel tank to unplug and then reattach the plugs on the injectors. I left the factory settings alone and noticed that the engine was smoother. I have not lost fuel mileage and if anything it is better. Again my bike is not a 100 horse fire breather, but it does scoot a little quicker! The real test will be in June with the exhaust heat.
    Tim
  8. cardboard

With the FI tuners made by doebech and other copies, allyou can do is add or suptract fuel. They ain't gonna help gas milage.
    After I took one off my bike it was carboned up pretty good from the unit.
  9. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I have the cobra fi2000r O2 tuner on my street glide. I installed stage one air cleaner and python mufflers. The tuner works ok but falls short since you can't change any settings other than fuel. I rolled on it the other day about to 80 and then let off completely and got a good backfire. Don't know if cold air went up the left muffler and messed with o2 sensor or what. The unit works well and took about two hours to install. Hope this helps.
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I know that many of you don't care for the HD Race Tuner as you really can't do your own thing with it. But I installed it on my Ultra and its been working simply fine. I know that if I do any changes like cams that I have to take it to HD to have it modified but I also like it because it becomes part of the system versus riding piggy back. I had a Power Commander installed on a 03 bike and it just didn't like it so I put the Race Tuner on that bike and the problems went away. Just mt 2 cents worth.
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

They're a simple cost effective way to do a Stage 1 upgrade on an EFI bike. Each movement of the pot(from 12 o'clock-1 o'clock and so on) is equal to going up 1/2 size jet on a carbed bike.
    If you feel you need a different advance curve or higher rev limit from stock on a Stage 1 these are not for you.They can be difficult to tune on true duals.If all you want to do is add fuel to allow for the increase in air flow of your Stage one they work fine.
    The Cobra fueler doesn't have an accelerator pump pot to add a shot of fuel on rapid throttle openings which IMO make it the inferior of the pot style fuelers. Kinda like the Dyno junk kit for efi, you have to fatten up the pilot circuit too much to try to compensate for the transition hiccup.:devil:
  12. REDHEAD

REDHEAD New Member

HEY_HAY COWBOY

I ordered a FI1252ST for my FLHR 09 .... Had great reviews from other users...

doesn't require a PC or computer to operate : uses a small screwdriver to adjust POTS according to YOUR modifications..... BASE SETTINGS if you have a stock NO_MODS ,,,, the bike will run better and you can work from there.... sage one , stage two and so on..

JUST like using different jets in a carb. but adjusting the fuel ratio / fuel band width electronically... though out the aray of rpm like the stock HD does....

HD charges 150$ plus dyno time to adjust the EFI and it still comes out TOO LEAN... THEN they want to sell you their Scrm'E tuner for 500$$$$ and $$$$$ to tune it on their dyno...

with DOBECK,,,,,
    THEY ask you to call their TEC for any help you need installing or tuning ....

The pictured 1225.pdf (of which i didn't know how to attach here) SHOWS ALL needed information and many base-line curves to start your OWN fine tuning....

(no i don't have anything to gain from you buying a unit just happy to share MY experience with you)

I ordered Dobeck's unit USING their discount for my military service (6yr honorable discharge copy fax to them) and saved @ 100$$ OFF their suggested retail about 250$+ then became 150$ plus shipping..THANKS DOBECK

IF you go to dobeck on line and order from the co. they have a list of buyers who can save off the sug. retail.....

I like the idea of saving $$$$$ I was ready to pay FULL retail b-4 i checked discounts.... firemen,police,military,save 20/50% ask for CHRIS.....

this should answer your question about DOBEC TFI....

signed....REDHEAD
    I EDIT cause I didn't notice HOW OLD THE ORGINAL POST WAS back in nov. 7th 2008.... I'll still post my results with MY unit from dobeck
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  13. cowboy

redhead thank's , I was just wondering how they worked , I have power comander on my 03 ,I had it real close with the wife's lap top , then took it to my local Indy shop & he did the fine tune with his dyno machine :D
  14. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

It is nice to see a unit that is simple to use because I believe that dyno tuning is different at every place you go. Dyno tuning should only be operated by someone who really knows what he is doing and the dyno and O2 analyzer should be calibrated for accuracy. Not many are this way. Not anyone can run a dyno and tune an engine - I should say - not many know what it really takes and it should take much more than a couple of hours. The test engineers at Harley take months and months for just one engine / bike model. It is a rarity to find someone who is truly happy with their bike after a dyno tune.

However, I don't believe that when you change an exhaust or a cam that the fuel delivery is affected linearly throughout the speed / load points as if you think of it as just changing a carb setting, You may be overfueling at some speed / load points and under fueling at other speed/load points. This is because the air flow is affected by the cam profile and the exhaust "referb". It's not as predictable as a jet change. Simple jet changes only works on carbs because carbs will adapt to the air flow changes.
  15. cowboy

Tom i think your right , when he set up a bike for the dyno he does it on mondays while the shop is closed so that's all he has to think about is the one bike for the day & he takes his time so it's right He'll be the first to say it takes time to do it right & when you set it up he wirghts info down about your riding style & every thing you know about your bike IE what brand pipes AC kit or cams or what ever he wants to know all about you & your bike :cool:
  16. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Yup! That's exactly what it takes. A lot of concentration and time. Not any yahoo can jump on a dyno and tune a bike. This guy sounds like he knows what it takes. I wish I lived in King-of-the-Hill area so I could use this guy :D

I watched mine being dyno tuned a few years ago and the jokers just did power runs and canned maps. It was total BS.

My feeling is the best system to use is a system like Thundermax that has two wide band O2 sensors and the auto-tune feature. And the Thundermax aint worth crap without the auto-tune feature. It should also have a knock sensor. I don't know if Thundermax comes with a knock sensor. I would opt for this over dyno tuning or a carb.
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

those units can work, however, and this isn't an always case but

1) you cannot alter ignition timing, a key in heat and power and mileage with these
    fuel pots only.
    2) you can only add fuel to the existing map levels, it cannot take away from the minimum fuel the ECM commands, so, in a few cases there are areas where you need to change timing or reduce fuel or both,

can't do it with these tuners.

Having said that it's better than nothing, not expensive and will work in 90+% of stage 1 upgrades. But if you're going to go big bore, cams, 2-1, etc, then you'd be better off to go to a PC, or some device that allows a wider range of tuning..

Not knocking your selection just pointing out the facts on these...

Should work well for you.. if setup correctly.
  18. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yep, they'll do the job for Stage 1 bikes and you may be able to use one with a bolt in cam ,but you're reaching their limitations then, any thing more and you'll need a PC III or the like, all the fuelers do is allow the injectors to open a couple of milliseconds longer to richen the mixture to allow for the increased air flow of a Stage 1.
  19. cardboard

What a lot of folks don't think of is a Tuner is one of the most important things on their motorcycle.
    I would hate to limit myself to a cheap tuner that only 1/2 does the job on a expensive motorcycle.

Its not cool to cheat:gah:
  20. REDHEAD

REDHEAD New Member

I put on the GFI DOBECK per insturctions, set it to the suggested CAN settings... for my stage one: V&H slip-ons, scrm'n eagle air..2009 FLHR

pot one suggested 2.75 ok i set it there**main low & idle fuel control
    pot two suggested 3.25 same **accelator pump function
    pot three set sug. 3.25 same **main fuel setting above 2000 area
    pot 4 suggested 4.0 same **when functions start RPM ???

BOY was I surprised on the first test run... I was thinking power of suggestion OR ???

seemed to run a LOT stronger, I could feel the differance in the "seat of pants" gauge.

I opened up in forth gear to feel the pull... NOT BAD but then shifted up to 5 only to find I had been in 5 gear,,,, now that impressed me.

I MAY go back into the box to PLAY with the settings but IT RUNS SO GOOD RIGHT NOW......

The settings are VISUAL (looking at a clock face to set) setting with a small screwdriver... NO clicks to reset it back exactly where it is right now....

The EPA harley settings are by far TOO LEAN and I sure could notice at higher speeds: in 3/4/5/6 where IT WAS DEAD with HD settings..... THE tuner gave the bike a definite BOOST in GAS so it would develop the power IT SHOULD HAVE....

After MANY twisting the screw for the thrill of it... I wondered what this little BOX did to the fuel mileage?

I topped the tank at my local pump and went on an ALMOST easy run not getting TOO carried ayay with the NEW FOUND power band.... 48 miles and back to the same station to re-top tank... careful both times to re-fill same.. took 1.14gal....

I had it out on a normal longer ride yesterday (solo)... 98.7 miles on 2.124 gal..

I'll probably leave well enough alone and not monkey with settings...
    PLENTY of get-up-n-go with great economy on the tour side...

MY NEXT improvements for the future will be GEAR DRIVE CAMS...
    I've had good experience with 2000 dyna using 570SS G..
    not sure but I'll go for torque on this bigger bike... lots of cams to choose from

ANY SUGGESTIONS for future cam selection?????

signed....REDHEAD