1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.
  1. rose50

rose50 New Member

My husband was along time Harley guy and passed away a couple of years ago. I never learned to ride, but this spring am taking a course and plan on buying a sportster this summer....Would welcome advise and something to get me in the game faster.
    I am the greenest one in the game!
  2. rose50

rose50 New Member

Live Life to the fullest every minute.
  3. AZ05FXST

AZ05FXST New Member

Rose,
    About 10 years ago my wife decided she wanted to learn to ride. She took a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, 2.5 days. She came home after the last day with everything she needed to get her motorcycle endorsement. :eek: I was amazed, shocked, and confused. How could they teach her to ride a bike safely on the streets of Phoenix in 2.5 days? :confused: I don't know how they did it but they did. We bought her a cheap used Honda 250 and she rode it 3 or 4 months until she felt like she was ready to move up to a bigger nicer bike. She decided on a 95 Honda 600 VLX C and Loved it.
    IMO, take a class, start with a small inexpensive bike and get use to riding it, when your comfortable and confident buy that beautiful bike of your dreams. It's so much fun, you'll love it. Keep us posted on your progress.
  4. rose50

rose50 New Member

Thanks!
    I am so excited. Anxious to get started!
  5. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Learning to ride

Ditto on the above info rose. My sweety is taking the course here this Spring...we already found her a 1980 Honda 450 so she can get the biker equivilent of "sea legs" under her. Remember keep the shiny side up...and have a blast. Oh and rose, no matter how good a set of legs you have....leave the short shorts in the closet and wear jeans at least....I am costantly amazed at the idiots riding around in shorts, sandals, and i have even seen flip flops....well one day those folks are gonne find out skin grafts are real pricey.
    In the same vein, sort of, I was wondering how many folks have taken either the begiiners or advanced safety courses, or both? Being I was riding before they had such things, I highly recomend going the course route. You can learn on your own, if you live through it, but I had a whole lot rather ante up the couple of hundred bucks than all the hide I lost. I have since the late 1980's repeated the advanced course every 3 years....and with my insurance thats cuts you 15%.
  6. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I took the basic riders course....MANY years after learning how to ride, and about 3-4 bikes later..... I was AMAZED at how much I picked up.....little "bad habits" I had gotten into.....SOMETIME, I would like to take either the advanced course by MSF or the HD course (but that appears to have a bit more expense up front.... :rolleyes: ) Either way, I think that those courses teach basic rider skills, however, do not count on it to teach you how to ride. Only miles down the road will improve, but with a good grasp on basics learned in a controlled setting, you are well on your way. Keep shiny side up and rubber down!
  7. rose50

rose50 New Member

Time in the saddle

I have leathers from my husband's biking days and no better than to wear shorts. I haven't been able to be excited about anything for along time until this.....EUUUU!!! I will go every chance I get.
    Thanks!! :rolleyes:
  8. scooter

scooter New Member

I have taken both the BRC and the ERC...BOTH are well worth it. Over the course of ten years I have been both types of biker (Those who have crashed and those who haven't crashed...yet) and the skill set learned really helped in a few close scrapes in between.

Start off with something small, like they're all tellin' ya..I actually started on a Yamaha Virago 535 instead of the 74 Chopper I so wanted at the time. I will say it helped out a lot when I went into a ditch!

scoot