1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

No power!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Danny, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Danny

Danny Member

Attempted to start my 01 FLHTCI and upon hitting the start switch, everything went blank. No more dash lights, no nothing. Checked the battery and saw the positive terminal had melted plastic from a nearby wire jacket and the battery actually had a small hole near the terminal that was caused from the heat. Before hooking up the new battery and perhaps duplicating the same occurrence, I'm thinking about checking for a short at the solenoid or starter motor. Is this sound and if so how do I do that??
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Check for shorts nearest the burn area. Did it blow any fuses? If not, the short is most likely right near the battery. Sometimes wires get pinched under the seat. Make a thorough check around that area. Let us know what you find, please, so others may learn.

Sorry for late response, didn't see it earlier. Anyone else want to weigh in?
  3. Danny

Danny Member

Thanks for the reply. I did check all around the area and found nothing suspicious so I installed a new battery and it kicked right over with no issues. I'm now assuming that the battery was the issue or maybe the positive terminal was loose. The confusing thing is that I have a load check/battery tester and when I first attempted to test the battery, the analog needle bounced around a bit and showed the battery as weak, then rose abruptly to show 350 CCA's. I was going to change the battery anyway because of the small hole in the case. The battery was 2 months out of warranty :mad: and I always keep it on a battery tender.
    I have put on about 300 miles since changing the battery and so far, so good. I DO however, have another issue with idling and stalling. Feel like helping me out on that one too??
  4. Red Rider

Sounds like the battery itself shorted out - happens, and what you saw is a common symptom of that.

As to your next problem, fire away, but if it is an EFI issue, I'm little help. Carb guy, and not even great with them. Other folks do read these (hopefully!).
  5. Danny

Danny Member

Ok, here goes. The bike won't idle when starting cold unless I hold the throttle and make it idle at about 1100 rpm's. After a few minutes it will stay running and then I'm off and riding. Now lately, it will intermittently stall when I take off in 1st gear and just yesterday I was in 4th, coming down a hill, doing about 50 mph and it stalled and then restarted on its own.
    As a first resort and an easy one, I changed the engine temp sensor but that was before the aforementioned stalls so that had no effect. It's getting progressively worse also. The techs at Harley mentioned something about an o-ring kit for the fuel injector asbly. Whadda you think?
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

EFI

Could be any number of things, if its not setting any codes
    that makes it harder, what year bike.
    Red Rider likes this.
  7. Red Rider

Well, it sure sounds like an EFI issue, like HRK said. Does your 01 FLHTCI show any codes? Do you have the service manual, and know how to retrieve codes? I'm guessing you do, as you seem knowledgeable, but gotta ask.

I know it ain't your pilot jet or pilot air screw adjust!
  8. Danny

Danny Member

It's a "01" FLHTCI and I also have an intermittent issue with the speedo. I can however, get it to show me codes
  9. Danny

Danny Member

No harm in asking. I only seem knowledgeable because I'm a refrigeration mechanic for 38 years but this is my first Harley. I will spend some time on the codes and see if that sheds some light.
    Red Rider likes this.
  10. hotroadking

Check your engine codes to see if there are any, normally you'll get a CE light that stays on, but after 50 start attempts it clears the light.

Speedo issues on early 00's is attributed to a dirty or bad speedo pickup most of the time. That magnet is on the back right top of the trans and an allen will remove the bolt, pry it out and clean it, don't fubar the o-ring. If the problem persists then a new speedo sensor is needed, the connection for it is in front of the rear tire.

Orings could be a culprit, so could a dirty fuel filter, it's in the tank, also you have two lines coming off the bottom of the fuel tank, one feed, one pressure return, inside the tank HD used a plastic hose to go from the pump to the line, it's known to get pin holes, after you get enough you can't get full pressure and you end up with drive ability problems.

Ge the tank down to 1/4 full. Then turn on the ignition but don't start it, you should hear the FP energize, sometimes with holes in the right direction, on a 1/4 tank of gas you might hear fuel hitting the inside of the tank

You could pull the dash and the inspection cover over the fuel pump and look in doing the same to see if the plastic line has holes. It's a common problem. Not saying thats it but it's possible.

There are a ton of parts on an EFI system, and you can chase your butt off and spend a lot of money trying to find it, Might be best to have a pro tech check it out, having a bike that stalls at 50 isn't safe. $100 to a tech will be cheaper than $500 swapping parts.
    Red Rider likes this.
  11. Danny

Danny Member

Thanks! Lots of info. I did check the codes and "d02set" came up. All others were do clr. I guess that is my speedo sensor. I cleared it and now all read do(1 thru 10)clr. I have not ridden the bike yet so I have no feedback on that.
    You mentioned o-rings. Would that be for the stalling/poor idle issue? If so which o-rings? I have already replaced my fuel filter but haven't checked the fuel pump hoses. The bike has 75,ooo miles on it and I have never inspected or cleaned the injectors. BTW, is that charcoal canister thing a joke? Should it be removed or replaced?
    I see your point about bringing it in. Guess I'm gonna have to break down (pardon the pun) and have someone troubleshoot it for me but I would like to eliminate as many questions before doing so.
  12. hotroadking

I was referencing the o-rings from your previous post for the injectors.

It wouldn't hurt to replace them, however I doubt thats your problem.

Fuels today are ultra clean, there is a filter in the tank, and perhaps it's
    in need of replacement, or the pin hole problem in the fuel tank internal line, bad plugs, bad sensor (there are several), etc etc

BTW if the speedo keeps acting up then I'd bet your speedo sensor on the trans is
    going bad, I had to replace three on my 00 heritage, they were POS, eventually HD got the part straight, but for a while there they were a problem.

Since you don't have the scan tools to check all the info in the system or watch it running the hundred bucks to get it tech'd out maybe cheaper than replacing parts one by one until you hit the problem.
  13. Danny

Danny Member

Well my friend, your advice about the fuel line having pinhole issues was spot on! I removed the gas cap, hit the ignition switch while looking into the tank and saw a little gasoline vapor cloud form as soon as the pump started! I removed the fuel pump and as I lifted the fuel line above the level of the fuel in the tank, a little stream of fuel poured out. FINALLY found the problem after chasing my tail for a very long time. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now get a load of my intermittent speedo issue. I traced that to a broken wire inside the harness under the gas tank. You might say that would have been easy to find and you'd be right except for the fact that the wire was broken (or detatched) inside the insulating jacket. On the outside, the wire looked perfectly fine but on the inside, the stranded copper was detached! Now I just don't know how that happens. Wire manufacturing flaw perhaps, sabotage maybe. Either way, the bike runs like a champ. Self canceling signals now self cancel, the radio volume adjust to surrounding noise AND I know how fast I'm going.

Thanks again, bud. Really appreciate it.
  14. hotroadking

Glad you got it going and thanks for letting us know!

The FL series have a mega ton of wires in the harness,
    on the pre- canbus bike (09) a lot to stuff into the bike.

Could be the wire was installed in such a way that it was
    tight, over time stress pulled it apart, or it just failed nonetheless
    you are in the wind.. Ride safe!