1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

No spark, harley Davidson 04 electroglide

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Gmiller, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Gmiller

Gmiller Member

I just rode the bike the day before 150 miles on new years day. Ran great except for a little miss firing after we stoped for lunch and headed home. Then streight end out after about an eighth of a mile. I thought that was odd. But ran great the 75 miles home.
    The next day I tried to start the bike. It would usually fire and start on the first revaluation. But it just cranked over at a good pace but no fire. I pulled the rear plug and cranked over to check for spark (no spark). I checked the start relay and the system relay and they tested good.
    So now I'm a thinking voltage regulator or stator. Any help would be very appreciated. George
  2. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

IMO the charging system would not effect a no start/no spark if the scooter cranks over well. Is the bike f/i or carb? Any mods and more info will help us help you. Welcome to the forum, the weather here is 12, no ride now (lol)
  3. Gmiller

Gmiller Member

Thanks for your response, my bike is an 88" twin cam fuel injected. The only electronic mod that I made was a
    Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro Tuner Digital Fuel Processor
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Remove the Cobra and put the stock ignition box back on
    see if that solves the problem.

Fuel, Air and Spark, if you are seeing no spark
    then it is the iginition system, either a grounded out wire
    or the module has gone tits up, bad coil, bad plug wires.

Starting at the plug (which you did) you find no spark,
    therefore you move back up the ignition side. Wires, are they seated
    and good, no cuts etc. Then coil are connections proper, test coil per
    manual.

If coil is good, then you need to move to the ignition and if you have the stock one
    that's an easy check, just swap them...
  5. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

As per HRK if you still can put the oem back in do so. If not is there a diagnostic for the cobra? Was the coil swapped with the conversion?
  6. Gmiller

Gmiller Member

The cobra that I installed was a piggy back type system. I just unpluged the injector connection and plugged in the cobra in then plugged the original connecters into the cobra connectors. So both cobra and the stock controllers are in use. And no coils were swaped
    And I don't have an extra ignition to make the swap. I will have to buy one soon. So tell then I thank you for your help and I'll let you know how I make out when I've replaced the ignition.
    Weather here in maryland is in the 30s
  7. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

Had a good ride Christmas eve, 140 miles was above 60. Hope you had a chance to enjoy also. Good luck and let us know any progress.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

before you buy an ignition, remove the cobra and connect it back with the stock ignition to see if it runs.
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

You won't get spark if there's no plug in the hole...They won't fire if no compression is detected.Did you check the crank position sensor??
  10. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

Find a fix yet? not so sure on the waste spark thought of no comp= no spark. Most touring by your year would not have that style system. might be wrong, my 2000 R/K is a 3 three wire coil.
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

With my 2003 EFI King and all the Delphi EFIs from '02 on, if the ECM doesn't detect compression in the cylinder it won't fire the plug,you'd have to put a spark plug in the head and another plug in the boot and ground it to check for spark, carbed models might spark but EFI won't. I think he said his is an '04 EFI....
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016