1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

North Carolina

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by badinfluence63, Dec 20, 2014.

1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Just got back from a short and quick jaunt to NC. Did not ride or bring bike. First of all I left here and it was 27 degrees and 10-12 inchs of snow on the ground. Get there and it was 60's and sunny.

Couple observations.......gas here is avg 2.49. Got it for 2.17 in Virginia at a Shell station..why the desparity in prices,don't understand that. The NJTPK was higher then I thought it would be at 2.45. The NJTPK is usually the lowest.

The interstates are jacked. From NH to NC is like one big traffic jam during the day along the Eastern seaboard...WTF.

No offense JBob for not touching bases, got there late Monday and left early Thursday. Was pretty much a crush to get there to drop off the Christmas presents for the grandboys, visit a smidge and head home.

Have family in Fayettville and went there for Wednesday dinner..what a shithole. Glad I had a GPS,albeit out of date and that caused one problem because of construction and a road closure in Fayettville.

All in all it was great to get a brief reprieve from the snow and cold. You North Carolinians are dang lucky! Jealous.
  2. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Headed down to Maggie Valley, NC via the Skyline Drive and BRP in late June...We take a ride down there every few years...Beautiful country down there...
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  3. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

You will be in my backyard...it is a cool place to ride...
  4. badinfluence63

Asheville favorite place in the whole USA. I wish when I retire I had the huxpa to sell everything and relocate to Asheville.
  5. badinfluence63

Carolina BBQ and southern fried chicken..yum yum! Courtesy of Wilburs BBQ, Goldsboro,NC

bbq1.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My sister lives in North Carolina and really likes it. In 2010 when I rode through Asherville it seems to me we stopped at a HD dealer there. Noticed how nice the area was. However, won't trade it for Oregun.
  7. badinfluence63

North Carolina has everything. Mountains, the coast and Eastern Carolina(where Jbob lives) not quite the coast nor mountains
  8. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's pretty flat where I live but that's ok. I've lived in the mountains and on the west coast. I like the people here better.
  9. badinfluence63

My house is there too and I'm not saying thats a bad thing. Thats just the description of that part of North Carolina. North Carolina is geograpically diversified,lol.
  10. FLHTbiker

That's because you lived in California
  11. joshbob

North Carolina is a great place to live. We'll never move again. California has fine scenery but is going down the tubes.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  12. badinfluence63

Going.....?
  13. FLHTbiker

Yep and you couldn't get me to live there for anything.
    Got a friend who lives in South Carolina and loves it but says North Carolina sucks. I think for the most part it depends on where you live and how well you like it there.
  14. MountainCruiser

I would say it is fairly unusual to hear someone say that unless they are liberal or like big cities. Parts of SC and NC are similar except RDS. SC quite behind other bordering states, but up side is their gas is much cheaper. No road tax on gas there.
  15. MountainCruiser

I agree it depends on where you live and what is home to you.
  16. FLHTbiker

He is a Harley rider and don't like big cities I know he lives up against the mountains. Don't know why he said that about NC unless it's a rival thing.

Something very interesting to is my nephew who just got back from Afganistan and is stationed in NC and is home on leave for Christmas said to me and my brother that he thinks the people in Oregon are nicer. That one surprised me. He visits my sister which is outside of Greensboro and her daughter there. He has a girl friend who is a nurse in NC and came from Michigan and she says that from what she sees she likes Oregon better to. But bet that from being around the military bases and big cities in NC.
    I know one thing she says she sure as heck ain't going back to Michigan, to cold in the winters. The parts of NC I went through I thought were very nice. There are other parts of this country I've been through that I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for, like California.
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Eastern Oregon and wa state are great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. joshbob

You're right BI, it's been gone. Wish you could be here Christmas day, Friday and Saturday - they all look to be good riding days. Boy, it'll be nice to get out and ride again. It's been sloppy wet and/or cold here. Today it's supposed to get around 70 but it will rain all day. At least all my shopping is done and as usual, my dear ol' mother-in-law, bless her heart, has deposited a truck load of presents under the tree for us. She spoils us rotten every Christmas ;).

BTW, my new avatar isn't a selfie - my mother-in-law took it recently as I was practicing in the house. She is 86 and so far doing fine.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  19. badinfluence63

Me and you both..my bike is in the garage and blocked in by piles of snow.

snow wdnesday.jpg
  20. MountainCruiser

Same here Josh, warm enough just won't stop raining.