1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Now how does that happen?

Discussion in 'CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit' started by Hazy, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Hazy

Hazy New Member

Just got around to installing the premium tuners kit along with a lot of wintertime bikish projects. They bike, my custom EVO Frankentrike with a 1998ish EVO. Custom air cleaner, pipes, and a mild cam has been running just fine for years but I figured a carb tune-up was due. Replaced the #45 pilot and #185 main with the new ones and then the rest of the new parts. A little fiddling and the bike startup up. Let it warm and tried to adjust the mixture. Nope no change in idle speed whether it was screwed in or out, virtually no change. I can adjust the idle speed up or down with the isle speed screw but the mixture adjustment does almost nothing. I just changed the pilot to a #42 and it's some better. The idle will slow a tad and stumble a tiny bit with the screw lightly seated. Run it out and you get a really fat spot where the bike seems to be running really well, but you can go almost all the way out and the bike still runs. So what is going on here? The fancy mixture screw doesn't do anything, in or out. Scratching my head.
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

It is a combination of the pilot jet and air bleed passages. More than likely the passages are clogged which would not have been noticed under the leaner old jetting. The mixture screw takes up the gap between the pilot jet and where it transitions to just off-idle. If the jet is too big or the passages are clogged it will be too rich and the mixture screw cannot adjust. I would suggest a thorough cleaning of all passages with the jets and screw (and packing) removed. Then jet on the leaner side since a heavier trike tends to prefer something closer to a 45/180 jetting. This is described more on the troubleshooting page here (item #3):
    https://cv-performance.com/harley-cv-carburetor-tuning-issues

Also it is important to make sure the mixture screw has seated fully before adjustment. A screw that does not go in all the way will give a false setting. When seated the EZ-Just will only be showing 2 threads at the most. If more then the screw is encountering something inside the threaded bore.
  3. Hazy

Hazy New Member

Thanks for the help, I'll be looking closely at what you suggest since this does appear to be a too rich situation. I changed from the original #45 I had been running to a #42 which seemed to help the rich idle situation some. I'll try the #180 too. I'm also wondering if the needle might have anything to do with this? I used the needle and spring included in the kit and am wondering if the spring might be too light?
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

No, if the spring were too light you would be going lean instead of rich. Having to use a #42 pilot on a EVO 1340 engine is a pretty strong indicator that there is a clogged passage or something similar contributing to less air being mixed with the fuel. There are many passage that are super tiny and the slightest buildup of lacquer or debris will reduce either the the amount of air or fuel, or both depending on what passage.
  5. Hazy

Hazy New Member

I think I may be tracking down the problem. I spent all day cleaning and testing all the passages and I am pretty certain everything is clean but there was no change - the EZ Just mixture screw still does little to nothing. I removed the air cleaner while the bike was running wondering if I could see anything. Fuel is spraying up around the slide needle from the needle jet. Now I need to know why because that would surely make it run rich.
  6. Hazy

Hazy New Member

Things are a little better, not perfect but better. I put the old emulsion tube and needle back in. I put the old spring back in and put the old mixture screw back in as well as the original slide. I can now get the idle to stumble and drop off, sometimes even a stall, as I lean out the mixture. Adjusting rich will pick up to a good steady idle at about 2 to 2 1/2 turns out, then drop just a tiny bit, but keep running fine until the mixture screw can almost fall out. I no longer have fuel bleeding through the needle jet or at least I can no longer see it. Not like before when there was a steady pulsing spray coming out. I don't know what's going on with this carb, it's certainly not the first time I've rebuilt carbs of all kinds, and this one was double, triple and I don't know how many times checked and re-checked. The sad thing is it was running perfectly before this rebuild with an occasional tiny tweak to idle. Looks like I'll be shopping for a new carb. Anyway, thanks for your help. Know where there are any good deals on S&S Super E's?