1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Odometer/Speed Sensor Unit replacement - 1999 FLHR

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Red Rider, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Stinkin' manual is worthless for this (so, please don't tell me to read it AGAIN:mad:!). So, do I really have to pull the friggin starter to even get to the Speed Sensor Unit cable/assembly? My starter's bolts are ridiculously difficult to access......:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Probably, but it feels better to rant about it. Think I'll have a cigar and decide if I wanna pay someone to do it for me.:cigar:
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

99 twinkee right.

You shouldn't have to pull the starter at least on my 00 Heritage I didn't,
    the sensor is held down by one allen bolt, I got a small ratcheting allen wrench
    from sears that had a little kit of mutliple allen, screwdriver, torx heads, put the
    allen head in the bolt and if you can't get the wrench on use a small 1/4 inch open end, the connector should be in the side compartment it's triangle shaped.
    Red Rider likes this.
  3. hotroadking

Is this the sensor?

[​IMG]
    Red Rider likes this.
  4. hotroadking

That silver plate on the black surface is where it goes

[​IMG]
    Red Rider likes this.
  5. Red Rider

Sensor? What...oh, that thing, yeah, that is it.....
  6. Red Rider

Yep, that is the place it goes. Unfortunately, it is buried on my ride. I'm trying to figure an easier way in, as the starter is a &$%# to get in and out.
  7. hotroadking

Hmm I could get to it in the heritage without removing the starter. Good luck maybe you can just loosen the mounting bolts and angle the back of the starter up enough to get to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Red Rider

If I knew such a simple job as replacing the speed sensor was gonna be like this, I might have opted for a Heritage.:rage: This is a PITA job for no good reason.
  9. hotroadking

Well just pile some brewski's in the fridge and go at it...

Not gonna change itself
    Red Rider likes this.
  10. hotroadking

Have you tried my suggestion of getting allen bits and using a 1/4 inch open end, you work the allen into the bolt, turn it with the 1/4 enough to get it loose, then turn the bolt with your fingers, needle nose plyers or vice grips, once loose, rotate the sensor slightly and use a small flat screwdriver to pry it up, I've done it on a 98 RK.

Or you could take an allen and cut it down just past the curve all you need to do is get
    that bolt loose and turn it out by hand.

Worse case loosen the starter bolts (two outside) and wedge up slightly the end of the starter for more room, don't jam it up, just lift it a little for clearance.
    Red Rider likes this.
  11. Red Rider

Haven't started yet, but that is my plan of attack, HRK, to move it just enough to get that done. Problem is, with all my spine issues, when I get in there to do the work my hands go numb and I lose about half of my grip strength - fingers just don't work then. Sucks to be broken, but it is what it is. What I don't want to do is get it loose and not be able to get it back together. Right now I can ride without the speedo/odo working, but won't be able to if I can't get it back together. So I am waiting till I have some other hands to help me.
  12. hotroadking

Yeah as you get older that squatting down and concrete floors become an issue
    Red Rider likes this.
  13. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Getting at starter bolts on a softail is a major pain compared to a bagger, I used a ball end allen to get the speed sensor bolt out,then a small blade screwdriver to pry the sensor up to break it free. Then since the sensor was toast I cut the sensor wire and just pulled the wire through. I didn't run the new sensor wire under the starter like Moco did. I just made a little loop with the wire at the sensor end and tucked it under the end of the starter by carefully using the blade screwdriver again then routed the plug up and through to the plug in and used a couple of zip ties to secure the wire
    charlie46 and Red Rider like this.
  14. Red Rider

Done. Did it pretty much the way Lucifer describes it, including the cut of the wire. The thing that was original stumping me was the route of the wire, made it look & feel like it was pinned under the starter...and it was, but not to the degree that I thought - it did not require messing with the starter at all.

Another thing that the HD manual says nothing about is where the unit hooks up to the harness. IT IS IN THE BATTERY BOX AREA!! How hard was that, H-D? :banghead

Another gripe - the sensor wire actually is offset 90 degrees toward the starter for no good reason, rather than any other direction (I mean, they only had the other 270 degrees to play with to get it right). :wtf:

So once I realized all I really had to do was yank the crap out of it and cut it off, it became a lot easier.

Oh, and when one compares a used one to a new one, no one can't notice the used ones are greatly magnetized over new. So it ain't about cleaning, you'd have to degauss the thing to get it back to good.

Finally, like Lucifer and others mention, I wouldn't cut the cable tie holding the old one to the frame (and I didn't). Much easier to cut the unit off, pull the cable through and then reroute or use a separate cable tie for the new one.
  15. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Glad you got it fixed.
    Red Rider likes this.