1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil Bag

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Silent-Dutch, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Silent-Dutch

Silent-Dutch Active Member

Hi all with sping coming I hope.I have a small wish list of things that need to be done on the bike. Before I could put my bike together the engine sat on the flood of my garage for 7 years and the nose cone chome peeled I'm getting another one and the oil bag has alot of rust inside it.Would it be easyer to replace or clean it out and how.Any ideas would be greatful Thanks
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Check to see how much damage is done to the integrity of the metal bevause of the importance of the fit and function. OEM is always best so if you replace pony up the money for factory.

Pretty much as far as the rust i would be concerned about any particles coming lose and getting into the oil after you thought it was clean and which could lead to bigger problems
  3. Silent-Dutch

Thanks the bike won't be running till this is fixed
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I would talk to a radiator shop, they might be able to dunk and clean it in solvents
    but you'd want to be sure the chrome doesn't get damaged.
  5. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

You could put BB,s yes BB,s in the tank, shake the bejesus out of it in effect shot blast. I need to stress that count them, yes count them before you all roll your eyes and call me names. LOL
  6. Silent-Dutch

So I had some time and unpacked the bike again.I have it covered up for winter.And have to apologize about the tank it was'nt that bad went down to the local shop and looked at some of the tanks on bikes that are getting repaired.Well they opened the tanks and let me have a peak.Thanks
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  7. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

Cant believe not a response to my input. LoL It will work quite well as long as you can count.
  8. Silent-Dutch

LOL yes it did cross my mind did'nt know how to respond.Thanks
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Rattling balls in a gas tank has been an old solution for loosening up the rust flakes
    then you coat the internals.